The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 02:39 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice
Default new pike/musky setup!!!

i just got my early christmas present

the rod is a Redington CPX 9' 10 weight.
the reel is a Cabela's XSS with a back up spool.

im setting one spool up with floating line and the other with either sink tip or full sink. i already have the Teeny Pat Ehlers Pike floating line, i just dont know whether to go with sink tip or full sink line. any suggestions?
Old 12-13-2009, 03:16 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new pike/musky setup!!!

Diver Dan is hardcore when it comes to pike and musky. I am sure that he will have an opinion.

If I had the choice, I would choose to put a shooting head system on that spool. I would use a .030" intermediate running line with 400 to 450 grain heads in intermediate sink, type 3, 6, and 8. That setup would allow you to play the depth game more efficiently.

Your CPX can handle heads in the 400 to 450 grain range (maybe even more). Go with the grain weight that you feel more comfortable casting.

Enjoy your new rig.

MP
Old 12-13-2009, 08:47 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road

I'd go with the sink tip over a full sink.

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmooney View Post
i just dont know whether to go with sink tip or full sink line. any suggestions?
Mosca Pescador's idea is a pretty good one. If you don't like the interchangable heads a full sink line is handy if you have places where you know Pike are going to be hanging in pretty deep water. Most places you won't need more than a sink tip line. I have a really big lake here, (1 million acres) and get real big fish in structureless deep water. A full sinking line is good for that. In summer when it has been hot for a while, big fish move up on the rock reefs. It is 30' plus around them but the tops where the fish are, go from 9' to maybe 15'. Sink tip is fine there. Most of the time you only need the floating line. Pike and Musky see really well up and are willing to come up for flies. If you can only get two to start, you may want the full sink, because you can cover more water with the float / full sink combo than the sink tip / float. If you plan to do a bunch of this kind of fishing, all three would probably be a good goal.

Also, if you plan on more Musky than Pike fishing, then get the full sink first. Most people are not aware of this, but musky once caught, generally won't go as shallow again. If you fish them on a pressured lake you will need the full sink just to get the numbers of hookups.

It would help some to know where you plan to fish, big water, small, Musky Pike etc.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:31 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Where are you planning to be fishing? A full sink line is handy if you have places where you know Pike are going to be hanging in pretty deep water. Most places you won't need more than a sink tip line. I have a really big lake here, (1 million acres) and get real big fish in structureless deep water. A full sinking line is good for that. In summer when it has been hot for a while, big fish move up on the rock reefs. It is 30' plus around them but the tops where the fish are, go from 9' to maybe 15'. Sink tip is fine there. Most of the time you only need the floating line. Pike and Musky see really well up and are willing to come up for flies. If you can only get two to start, you may want the full sink, because you can cover more water with the float / full sink combo than the sink tip / float. If you plan to do a bunch of this kind of fishing, all three would probably be a good goal.

Also, if you plan on more Musky than Pike fishing, then get the full sink first. Most people are not aware of this, but musky once caught, generally won't go as shallow again. If you fish them on a pressured lake you will need the full sink just to get the numbers of hookups.
I figured that i would want to get the full sink because i would be able to cover more water and depth with those two. im going to be fishing the Mississippi backwaters, the lower wisonsin river, and northern wisconsin lakes. i also got barry reynold's latest book on fishing for pike, and i plan on reading that cover to cover before next season. ive caught pike before on the fly, but id like to target them specifically. this summer i am going to be staying in La Crosse, WI to do my undergraduate research project, so i plan on finding some good spots along the mississippi thanks for the info everyone!
Old 12-15-2009, 04:40 PM

bi visable is on a distinguished road

Pictures?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:44 AM

aftonangler will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bi visable View Post
Pictures?
Click the image to open in full size.
Afton Angler with a big gal taken early in the 2009 season

Lucky Porter with a nice summertime musky taken from the Chippewa River in July, 2009

Marv with a beautiful natural Tiger taken from the Chippewa River in October, 2009

want more?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:12 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

excellent pics!!!!!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome aboard AA!

As y'all can see, this guy knows a thing or two about Muskies.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice photos. Welcome aboard.