The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 02:12 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road
Default Wipers/ Hybrids?

I'm bored, and there's a reservoir about 40 minutes north of here which has a power plant, and, ergo, a warm-water discharge. It's said there's decent winter fishing for hybrid striped bass and bigger-than-average crappie.

Anyone ever targeted the hybrids? I'm figuring a 7 weight rod and flies to imitate shad- deceivers, clouers, half-n-halfs (halves?), crease flies, maybe gurglers if I see any topwater action. Anything I'm missing?

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 12-16-2009, 04:08 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wipers/ Hybrids?

We have a local lake here in KC that has wiper.

From my experience, 7 wt. will be a good weight. The flies that you have listed are all good options.

What I don't know about is how to fish them this time of year. I usually chase the wipers in the spring/summer/ EARLY fall usually as the sun is dropping (or at night).

It has been my experience that they like a chase. BUT this time of year= ???? for me. Try to engage in a chase, then try to slow it down, then try deep, then try shallow, then try start/ stop, then try....... And let me know what works for you this time of year.

That's all I have for you at this point.

Also-- I've only been chasing wiper with a fly rod for about 2 seasons (this season was really the only success to speak of.)-- I'm still learning.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:52 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I may have to go do some recon and see if there's any lights or other attractants out around there for some night fishing...

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 12-16-2009, 11:56 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

This may sound like poor sport, and maybe it is but a lot of boat fishermen at the end of the day dump out all their unused minnows at the boat ramp. If the ramp isn't that busy you can sort of cast out in between boats coming back and catch some hybrids that hang around at dusk looking for an easy meal. Use a shad imitation.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:17 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about

I really only use 4 colors for wipers (and white bass). Yellow, white, chartreuse, and yellow. Of those yellow is my favorite. Second favorite is yellow.

Not sure why, but I've caught more on yellow, probably because I think I'll catch more so I fish it more.

I've not fished the warm water discharge at the lake south of Kansas City, but I've only fished that lake in summer for carp around the fish feeders. I know they catch some nice wipers in winter there, I've seen the photos of the conventional tackle anglers with good fish in the store at the boat ramp.

I use a fly tied on a size 2 Mustad C51S circle hook (now discontinued, use C71S-SS as a sub). Yellow zonker strip tied in with about 3in out the back, then palmered forward. Tie off, and add eyebalz or dumbbell eyes. I use big eyes and a sink tip line but I'm fishing this fly in the river in spring.

In summer when they are on top, I like deceivers, clousers, and a shad fly I tie with McFly egg yarn. Flash out back for a tail, then build a flat body with white McFly. Sometimes the top is yellow (imagine that!).

No real recommendations, other than shad type flies, but take a sink tip line. The wipers might be deeper than you think even with the warm water. And use a strong tippet. Wipers hit harder than any other freshwater fish, at least in summer.

Craig