The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 06:27 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default decent setup for panfish/small lmb

i got a orvis 7 wt setup that ive been using for everything from panfish to reds but id like to get a smaller setup to have more fun with panfish and other fw fish. i was looking at this:

NXT Outfits

the TFO 4/5 wt setup. its complete and its only $200. ive heard their products are good for the money and i dont need any g loomis for the fw fish i chase. is this setup good to go in yalls opinion?

i posted this on some other fishing forums and a couple ppl said they use 6' 2wts for panfish and lmb up to 3 lbs. seem like it would be a ton of fun but a little too light for some of the bass flies i have. maybe a 3wt with 4wt line would help me throw up to #4 hooks? thanks
Old 12-20-2009, 08:43 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: decent setup for panfish/small lmb

I have no experience with this outfit but it looks pretty good to me.TFO products are very good for the bucks.I also agree that a 4wt is nice for LMB and panfish.A 2wt might be more fun but fly size will be limited and any wind will quickly become a factor.Ive caught many bass,shad,pickerel,panfish,even carp on a 4wt.This outfit looks good but if you have a chance to cast it before buying,that would be best.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

rjackh

Welcome to the forum.

I haven't used the the NXT either, but TFO does have a good reputation-- and I'd agree with you on a heavier weight than a 2 weight if you're going to be throwing stuff like wind resistant bass poppers-- I think the 4/5 would be a good setup (and also a nice choice for trout if you have any nearby) and more versatile for all around fishing than a 2 weight.

Again welcome to the forum,
Old 12-20-2009, 09:40 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had tons of panfish put up a fight on a 9' 5wt. I've never fished anything
smaller than 4wt, and I do target panfish often. Also, I've had plenty of
LMB take small flies: Green Weenies, #10 wooly buggers, #10 muddlers, Madame X's, green foam hoppers in #10 and #12. The LMB below took a
$10 wooly bugger (you can see it in the net):

Click the image to open in full size.

No experience other than wiggling with TFO rods. If I were in the market for
another rod (like I need another hole in the head ), I'd take a look at an
8' 4wt for the fishing you've mentioned. St. Croix is offering the Avid in some
new lengths, but I don't know if that's one. Also, oval casting will hlp get a big/wind resistant fly going on a 4/5 wt line. I don't know if it will help with
lighter lines....
Old 12-20-2009, 10:28 PM

katorade is on a distinguished road

I would use a 4-5 weight enough backbone to handle the biggest bass and small perch and blugills are still fun. It can also cast some pretty big bass flies.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:35 PM

all yall are saying 4-5wt and all the guys on my other fishing forum are saying 2-3 wt lol.

i love little whippy rods that make small fish a blast to catch. like someone mentioned, im afraid i wouldnt be able to cast in any kind of wind with a little 2 wt. maybe a 4wt with 5wt line on it would better suit me?

ill look into that st croix rod, but its probably out of my price range. im a poor college student with other hobbies to fund also so i cant throw all my money in more fishing rods
Old 12-21-2009, 02:44 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Can't comment on the NXT rig.

Here's a nutty off the wall suggestion. Find yourself a fast action 7'6" 4 weight, and put spool up a WF6F fly line. I'll let you try to let you figure why the heck I would make that kind of suggestion.

MP
Old 12-21-2009, 11:31 AM

let me throw larger flies while still having a little light and whippy rod? thats my best guess
Old 12-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'd recommend a 4wt or 5wt, 9' if you're fishing mostly lakes and ponds, and closer to 8' if its mostly rivers.

I do most of my warm weather river fishing with a 8' 5wt St. Croix Avid, but also enjoy using a 9' 4wt Sage LL, and a 8'6" 3wt TFO Pro. (I rarely use the latter because a 3wt really wimps out with some wind or with some of my favorite flies that bass also seem to like. I've tried it with a 4wt line and its action becomes too mushy for my taste.)

One of the Avid's prettier projects-
Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:54 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice fish, Cliff! Catching a bunch of those must be a hoot.