The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:31 PM

guyg is on a distinguished road
Default Pan Fish and Small Bass

I have decided to give fly fishing a try and have been practicing my casting in the back yard. I think that I am doing well enough to catch fish when the weather warms. I do not want to invest a lot more money before I decide whether fly fishing is my thing. Would you guys suggest what flies will work for bream and small bass? How many do I need to start? Sizes, colors, etc.?
I fish ponds and small man made lakes. Where I live in Louisiana, vey little fly
fishing tackle is available, so would like a good mail order source also. I am 74
and it may be too late for me to learn this fly fishing stuff but I want give it a try. Thanks in advance for any help you guys give me. GuyG
Old 01-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pan Fish and Small Bass

Fortunately we are not old dogs, and can learn new tricks. Cabela's has a fly fishing catalog. Most small bug looking flies work on Blue Gills and their relatives. They are not an overly picky fish. Small Bass are pretty aggresive and will hit many of the same flies. Small top water poppers like those made by Bett's work on both panfish and Bass. Bass Pro Shops carries Bett's poppers. You found a good place to get advice. There are a lot of people on this forum and have tons of good advice.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:54 PM

brandy will become famous soon enough

like dan said check out the assortments at cabela's
Cabela's -- Fly Assortments
Old 01-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Guy welcome to the forum- you're going to have a blast chasing panfish and bass. They'll be a lot of fun.

A "warmwater" panfish/bass assortment would be a great way to get started. Here's a site that might be great to browse through. They have individual flies as well as assortments. I've never used them, but they look to be good quality. They sell assortments as well as individual flies if you want to cobble together your own set: BreamBugs.com

An assortment of flies with some small poppers and/or foam spiders in sizes 10-12 or so would be great for panfish and small bass to whack. Add a few bead head nymphs or small buggers or other sinking patterns for sub surface. On the Bream Bugs site these would be patterns like Miss Prissy, Bully's Bluegill Spiders for topwater and subsurface patterns like the Upside Down Bream Killer, Tellico Nymph, Wilson's Bream Bugger, Wilson's Mini Minnie.

For bass, what's the fly line weight of your fly rod? The reason i ask is that some really big poppers and other bushy bass stuff in large sizes ( say 2 and up) might be hard to cast unless you're using something like an 8 weight rod.

If you have a lighter rod (say a 6 weight or lighter), you can add a few slightly bigger poppers (size 6 or so), and some subsurface flies --- something like bead head buggers and/or marabou muddlers in size 6 or 8 to your panfish flies to target some bigger bass too.

And here's another resource for you: Louisiana Fly Fishing - Clubs

Joining a club is a great way to kick start your new fly fishing career. You'll get a lot pointers, as well as meet a few new buddies. Most clubs have informative meetings and group trips to local waters as well, and they can also help point out any fly fishing shops or other resources in your area.

By the way, also go to the home page and browse around through the site of that link for Louisiana Fly Fishing. It would be good to bookmark-- it looks like they keep up to date with the fly fishing down your way.

Good luck, feel free to ask questions as they come up and "Best Fishes" in the New Year--
Old 01-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi guyg,

Welcome to the forum.

Since I am your age plus 1, I might be able to give you a little perspective on if you can learn fly fishing at your age. It has a lot to do with your physical fitness and how active you are. You need good movement in your upper body especially your casting arm joints. The shoulder joint can get a good work out and if you already have a problem with your shoulder, then fly casting may not be a good choice. Not to say fly fishing is real strenuous. I find that Salt Water fishing is not enjoyable to me as much as it was do to the wind and sun. It just beats me down. That is not the case with Pan Fish, Bass and other fresh water fishing.

I am going to assume you don't have any physical limitations and in that case you should go for it and have a good time. You certainly can learn to cast at your age and that is your first thing to learn. The rest can be learned in books, videos, fly fishing clubs, a friend or this Forum. I think NAFFF is a perfect forum for beginners because we have so many good fly fishers that are willing to help out a beginner.

You are on the right track with Pan Fish and Bass. They are easy to catch, at least the pan fish are, and plentiful. To get good information you need to limit your post to one or two questions. The more questions you ask the least comprehensive the answers may be. So zero in on specific questions and you can make several post if needed.

I hope you enjoy your time on the forum and I look forward to pictures of your first fish caught on a fly.

Frank
Old 01-03-2010, 06:47 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I crashed my bicycle after winning a race in 2003, and my shoulder still hurts.
I take great care in how I cast, so that I can still cast when I'm 74.

Panfish can be caught on a fly rod without much casting at all. The local
lake and streams require little more than an 8 1/2-9 foot rod, a 7 1/2' leader,
a maybe 10 feet of fly line. It's basically just flipping the line, rather than
casting it. Panfish aren't too shy, so the flipping doesn't have to be too
precise and delicate.

Any of the little foam floating bugs with rubbery legs will catch tons of
bass and panfish.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:24 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Send me a six pack of a fine pale ale and I'll tell you what you need.....

All really good advise so far. The only thing I can think to add is: set yourself up with a number of hopper (grasshopper) patterns. My personal favorite is joe's hopper, but you can seek out dave's hopper, foam hoppers, letort hopper, something called club sandwich, there is a bunch.

Best fished close to the shore. Won't require extensive casting-- you could almost just flip one out. (I like to throw parallel to the shore and keep the hopper in the water as long as possible.) Also, a few twitches here and there is about all the action that you need-- no extensive muscle contraction in your hands. Explosive top water action, very fun, and often work when nothing else will. Did I mention hoppers????

Welcome-- I look forward to seeing and hearing about your successes.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Welcome!

Try looking at Fly Fishing Flies, Dry Flies, Nymphs, Streamers - Blue Fly Cafe. Their flys are inexpensive but of good quality, in my experiences.

I fish for panfish up here in PA and they will hit almost anything. I've had better luck with parachute type dry flies, as well as ant and beetle imitations.

Good luck, and you're never too old to pick up a bad habit.

Anthony
Old 01-04-2010, 08:43 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Welcome to the Forum Young Man... You got great advice from the folks here...My panfish selections are small poppers, foam spiders, and beadheads...Bluegills here in MI love them, and so do the LMB...

Dan
Old 01-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi guyg,

In regards to flies. Pan fish love rubber legs or any fly with a lot of movement.

Frank