The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 11:54 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough
Default Glow in the dark flies

So I was looking at a tying website and came across a pattern called a "Glowgler". I'm sure you can guess by the name that it is a glow in the dark gurgler. Has anyone ever tried glow in the dark flies? If so, was it successful? One of my favorite things to do is night fish for bass/bream, but I want to know if it is worth the hassle of buying the materials and tying them.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:20 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glow in the dark flies

I've never tried. I've fished both salt and freshwater at night and the theme has always been movement not sight. I was always taught big, grey, purple, black flies with lots of action will produce strikes based on the water disturbance they produce. It has worked well for me so far but it doesn't mean there isn't another way to skin this cat...
Old 04-07-2011, 08:01 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use glow in the dark fabric paint on flies, mostly as the iris on streamer eyes, but you can also use it as a body material for anything from nymphs to crabs and shrimp
So far I haven't noticed that it makes any difference.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:06 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I use glow in the dark fabric paint on flies, mostly as the iris on streamer eyes...
That would help me find my fly when there's no moon and it's stuck to the back of my hat!
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:12 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Think about this; things that glow in water usually have phosphorescence which is poisonous. Fish know this. I have seen stripers avoid coming into the wash because of fire in the water (small jelly fish that glow) except for really deep down in the ocean how much natural bait glows. It might be good for us to see the fly, but in the long run I think fish will avoid it.
airwhipper likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-07-2011, 04:10 PM

drakewoodie will become famous soon enough

I don't know I know that walleye assassin makes a paddle tall minnow bait that works really well for walleye and white bass here in my area
Old 04-07-2011, 08:06 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

The logic seems pretty sound.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a lot and it has worked really well. I tie clousers where I put glow-in-the-dark flashabou in the belly. I mix it in the white bucktail and it does not change the way it looks in the day. I also paint the hourglass eyes with protec powder paint which glows. The flashabou, which is actually much more like crystal flash, is made by Hedron in Stillwater, Minnesota. When I fish in the dark I take a UV light and clip it to the shoulder strap of my waders. It charges the fly fast. It's made to clip to the brim of a ball cap, but I don't like them there. Regular white light ones work pretty well, just not as fast. try and find the UV ones if you can. Here is one pattern clouser I tie. Notice the belly. The twisted fibers are the glow-in-the-dark flashabou.
Here is an example of how well it works.
One more quick note, not everything that glows in the ocean is poisonous. I was diving in Gaum in the dark and had a school of squid swim past me that bioluminesced really cool colors in moving patterns. Very surreal looking. Squid are very edible. In fact hot behind them were fish making a midnight snack of them. There are a ton of hardware type baits like Reef Runners that have glow color patterns. Twister tails that glow. jiigs that glow. (Lord forgive me for mentioning non-fly tackle here.) Judging by the sheer number of glow baits out there, it must not be to bad an idea.

Last edited by Guest1; 04-07-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:46 PM

mnshutterbug is on a distinguished road

Glow in the dark jigheads were the rage for walleye fishing several years ago in Minnesota. A couple companies even came out with a "special" light to energize it for night fishing. Of course, a bright pocket flashlight would do the same thing.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnshutterbug View Post
Glow in the dark jigheads were the rage for walleye fishing several years ago in Minnesota. A couple companies even came out with a "special" light to energize it for night fishing. Of course, a bright pocket flashlight would do the same thing.
They still are for ice fishing.