The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 06:43 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Old dog tries new trick

I met Louis, a forum member (AKA Vsyogi), in Miami this afternoon and he took me to a spot to try for peacocks, which I'd never fished for. We went to some canal behind a shopping mall and had a great time.

Louis was having some trouble with his double haul a year or so ago, however he is throwing a very nice line now, from fishing or practicing daily. His rod is quite soft, and he has adapted well to it.

I got the best of the deal, with a very nice fish - my first of the species.

We caught 6 or so bass in the first 45 minutes, then they shut down for the day. Even my jumbo dolphin popper wouldn't wake them back up. As usual, I didn't have a camera, but Louis had his trusty cell phone camera with him to save the memory, for a guy whose own is almost 2 blocked.

Click the image to open in full size.

Great way to spend an afternoon. Thanks again Louis.

Sorry, posted in the wrong forum and can't move it!

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 02-05-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Posted in the wrong forum but can't delete and move
Old 02-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old dog tries new trick

Jim: Thanks for posting the fishing report, it was fun to read and your fish photo looks great! Congrats!

Larry
Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice fish Jim,

Funny how the good spots are where you would never guess huh?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-05-2010, 10:13 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Great looking fish, Jim! Those cell phone cameras have saved me a few times
as well. A friend caught a REALLY nice LMB late this past December, and I
was able to get a pic with my cell phone (we both forgot/didn't bother with
cameras that day). Sometimes you just have to have that souvenir.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:44 PM

vsyogi is on a distinguished road

Jim thank you for coming by to fish yesterday, it was a lot of fun. I'm still surprised that canal had really great fish there. I really wish I had found my digital camera yesterday to take better pics. I forgot to mention that I have a 6wt line, do you think it would help with the rod being so slow?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:35 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Louis,

Yes, that would definitely help. However, you are casting quite well with the 7, and I would put the money toward a stiffer rod if I were you. They can often be found on ebay for quite cheap.

The tan line that was on the 10' loomis rod you tried was underlined by at least one line wt and you were doing well with it also.

The other day was a bad day to really try things out with the wind blowing and gusting in at speed from behind and onto the casting arm side for the most part.

On a calm day you can slow down your casting tempo a lot, and really start working on minimum force to get the line to barely turn over - working on a slow start and accelerating to a stop.

You do not "creep" at all that I could see on your forward stroke. That is what I had expected from what you described a long while back, and that is really good. I believe your biggest problem is the rod. You have outgrown it.

We'll get together another time on a very calm day in a field someplace, like that baseball field, where there is no distracting water around with fish in it.

Then we can both concentrate on casting.

Those pics were great. I hardly ever have a camera with me.

Edit: I just re-read your post and see you have a 6 wt line already. By all means give it a try, I think you will find it will work better on that rod.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-08-2010, 06:47 AM

Louis,

I should amend that post above a bit. Changing from a 7wt to a 6wt on that rod will not change the actual action of the rod, but it will let you carry another 10 feet of line or so in the air with the same action. That in turn should allow you to get a little more distance with the same action you have now, or allow you to cast the same distance with less chance for tailing loops.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-08-2010, 09:24 PM

vsyogi is on a distinguished road

So im gonna try the 6wt and see how the whole thing works out. I got to work on my nail knots, or should I use an albright knot for the backing to fly line. Having a lighter line should help me pick it up off the water with less force on the backcast right?
Old 02-09-2010, 07:04 AM

Louis,

Yes, or it will let you pick a longer line off the water, which is even more impotant, I think, for many types of fishing - whether fishing poppers from a canoe towards the shore, trout at a distance or bonefish on the flats.

You often get multiple shots at the same fish which either missed the first time ( like the peacock pictured ) or the fish changed directions - like what often happens with bonefish. The less line you have to strip in for a re-cast the better.

Nail knots are fine for what you will be fishing for with that rod. Just check the tip of the fly line to make sure the line coating hasn't cracked just behind the knot.

Cheers,
Jim