The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2006, 09:30 AM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road
Default HAHA First victim on the fly...

Ive read some articles that say your not supposed to be fishing while practicing, and other articles that say different....But anyway, just figured I would share a photo or two.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

And of course critiques on form are welcome and appreciated.LOL, also please note, no fish were harmed in the making of these pictures...Bruce
Old 07-03-2006, 09:52 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: HAHA First victim on the fly...

Congrats!

Nice tight loop as well... Keep up the good work!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:18 PM

pedrim17 is on a distinguished road

whats the name of that fish specie???
what did u use to get it ... what fly?
Old 07-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

It looks as if you are starting your forward cast way before your line has straightened out in the back. I am not sure if this is the case as it is just a photo but if so, you will lose all your power and probably snap your fly off with an audible pop like if snapping a whip.

Make sure and let the line unfold forward and behind before starting your next casting stroke. This is what will load your rod as the weight of the line is bending the rod and causing it to "load" into it's power.

Pretty little fish though.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:18 AM

Caught on an olive Wooly Booger, Curtis your right as I was hearing the "crack" intermittently. I will change it up a little bit incorporating what your recommending.....

Bruce
Old 07-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Yea... Curtis is right. After your back stroke, you must pause long enough to allow the line to somewhat straighten out behind you before you start your forward stroke. This is all in the timing. At first, its ok to turn your head and watch the line as it rolls out behind you. Soon, you'll develop a sense of timing and feel that will allow you to do this automatically.

Now, because of the tight loop on top, it appears that your back stroke may be in good shape. Its hard to say by just one photo so I'm making an assumption here... and you know what that can lead to.

Feel free to post more photos of you at various points during your cast. We'll try to see what you're doing. That also goes for anyone on this forum.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:13 AM

mrheuer is on a distinguished road
Default Keep It Up!

Congrats, great first fish on the fly. As far as the practicing and fishing go, I believe we are all practicing each time we go out to fish. You will improve your cast along the way but water conditions, reading the water and of course those taunting fish at times will teach us something every time.

Have fun and keep the pictures coming.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:58 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

Steve has the right idea. Don't be afraid to look behind you. That is what I had to do until I learned to "feel" the line behind me. The best advice, keep practicing. My feeling is if you are throwing a line in the water you might as well have a fly on it. You never know.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:47 PM

Ive been out a few more times, work and school permitting, last time I went out I had read the excerpts from Doug M's book prior and had two goals...One was not to let the trees and overhanging garbage eat my flies and the other was to fix whatever kink in my form was causing the snap/crack sound I was hearing....It worked and not only am I casting a wee bit further but putting the booger where I want it....If I cant catch em least I can assault them with bugs....I have noticed that when I tire a bit after casting 2-3 hours the flaws in form return......so that is when I pack it in....

Thanks everyone....

Bruce