The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1494Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 03:57 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: warmwater pics

Jhammer, the freshwater drum you have in the second photo (some call it a sheepshead here in WNY, which is super confusing since there are saltwater sheepshead), they are a fun fight and voracious eaters!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhammer View Post
Thank you!

It's been a personal goal of mine to catch every Fish Ohio species on a fly rod and I get so close every year! I have a feeling 2012 will be my golden year. Too bad they don't have Longnose Gar and Quillback Carpsuckers on the list.
I have wanted to catch a Quillback Carpsucker in the worst way. We have them here. I saw a dead one float up at the boat ramp in the Warroad end of the lake that would have dwarfed the state record. They are the coolest sucker on the planet.
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/f...llbackplay.pdf
Old 12-07-2011, 04:35 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

They are incredible on the fly rod. Any fly that looks like a crawdad or emerald shiner works wonders! We call them sheephead around here too. (Lake Erie region)

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I have wanted to catch a Quillback Carpsucker in the worst way. We have them here. I saw a dead one float up at the boat ramp in the Warroad end of the lake that would have dwarfed the state record. They are the coolest sucker on the planet.
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/f...llbackplay.pdf
I got mine on micro buggers. I heard that they like chironomids too.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:29 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Here's some more pictures from my trip this morning. There's nothing like catching some bass in the middle of December on the fly rod....IN OHIO!!

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

codym likes this.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:35 PM

socalfly is on a distinguished road

Question to some of you warm water guys if that's cool:

How do you guys land/release pike? I've seen pics in this thread and heard about some of the larger pikes having a gnarly set of teeth that can rip your hand up if you handle it the wrong way.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:43 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Grab them from the top, behind or at the gill plates and have a good set of pliers. Just keep your hands out of the gills, you can damage them.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:29 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Click the image to open in full size. A largemouth in water. milt.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:53 AM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

Was fishing bass last June and got into the walleye along a windswept rocky point. They were thick in there! Light biters unlike bass but once you set into em the larger ones fight decent enough. Definitely no trout but a worthy adversary. Average sizes were 20-27 inches. I didn't take many pics as I was fishing from my float tube.

The bass were on fire that weekend too in their pre-spawn motions. They were hitting the surface with vigor and as the wind picked up were taking large deceivers without hesitation. I lost count after 40-50. lol

codym likes this.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:12 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

@didgeridoo
"kitties"
lol.... those are some serious pigs!