The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1542Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 06:44 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: warmwater pics

i have caught two. one 20 pounder and one 10. I have caught one that was absolutly massive on conventional stuff. 30+ pounds i recently had one chase a vegetation fly i made. Its a green sanjuan worm with palmered green hackle on it.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That was my confusion here but I do see that Grass carp's mouths are higher and heads more pointed. This location I fish is tuff but the fish are more so. They are breaking 15 lb fluoro and straightening stainless hook. The common I have caught have been 28" to 38" and no where near as picky or as strong as these last ones.
My mistake however, they are Chernobyl Commons
Old 06-19-2012, 08:04 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Its all good. Grass carp can be super aggressive. You should see how they charge and hit flies in some of the streams and rivers around here. Its crazy, it surprised me so much I kept missing them.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-23-2012, 08:50 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I dedicate this one to Joni and Geoff, as it was caught on Joni's golden globug and it was at my equivalent of Geoff's stormdrain. Lots of eats today, the carp were very receptive! Great fun on my Allen ATS 2wt (all my other rods were in the back of my Jeep 200 miles away). Since I only had about a half hour before I had to leave for a football match I was due to play in, I stuck to casting at the manageable-sized ones:

Click the image to open in full size.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Last edited by gatortransplant; 06-23-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:28 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

nice golden bone AJ. im looking forward to a lkae trip this week on a friends boat, our schedules are finally working out. You know if I see a carp im going to try, but our goal is hybrid stripes
Old 06-23-2012, 11:32 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Good luck with the hybrid stripers, they're definitely fun! Hope to see some pictures soon then! And while that area where I caught the carp holds some big ones, I was fishing 3x tippet and a 2wt rod, so I was shooting for fish a little smaller than Joni's freakish Chernobyl Commons!
mbphotos54 likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-24-2012, 12:26 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

not sure what these next two are
Old 06-24-2012, 08:15 PM

2012185 is on a distinguished road

Just a little smallmouth I picked up today on a local creek.

Not a big fish but a good fight and acrobat!
Old 06-24-2012, 10:03 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012185 View Post
Just a little smallmouth I picked up today on a local creek.

Not a big fish but a good fight and acrobat!
Smallies are awesome!
2012185 likes this.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:34 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Pic of my oldest. This was about smallest for the Gauadalupe Bass we caught. Though none were over 13" 3/4# they were willing and fiesty. His smile is big as the fish.

Most were caught on hopper imitations and flashy nymphs. We used 5 & 6wt with the 6wt maybe a bit heavy. I'm shopping for a 4wt!

Fished the Llano River near Llano, TX. Water was very low as were are in the grips of an almost decade long drought. But though the bass were small they sure use the current to their advantage.

Pete A.