The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1670Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 03:33 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: warmwater pics

A few lil guys on poppers this morning, always a good time on top water
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Here's the results of three days of low water on the Chagrin in the Cleveland area. I finally got what I was targeting, that being smallmouth, but the road was rocky and mostly unfortunately dry (the no water kind, not the fly kind ):
Day 1: Lots of creek chubs, hogsuckers, sculpins, and other assorted bottom cruisers. Highlight was a creek chub double. Certainly nothing spectacular:

Day 2: SURPRISE! Low water again. Many suckers and other bottom-feeders again. Around midday I came across a giant school of carp and other bottom-feeders. Here are some results (and what they took), which I believe are a black buffalo (globug) and a quillback carpsucker (pheasant tail), respectively. I could be very wrong here (corrections welcome, apologies for the quality of the second photo, its a still from a video), but they were decent-sized fish and both put a good bend in the Allen Olympic 12' 5wt.

Day 3: Finally success! I had 30 minutes to run out and try to finally catch a smallmouth, and after about 10-15 minutes I got a solid take on a deep-running black Dahlberg Diver. The fish was almost immediately airborne and the spey rod was happily bent. There was much rejoicing. The first photo is another still-grab and the second is an iPhone shot.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-28-2012, 08:24 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I ended up cutting the head off, but here's a different picture of today's Quillback.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Nice fish AJ. Some variety! Something sounds wrong when you say double chub. Haha!

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlaser View Post
not sure what these next two are
Pretty sure those are warmouths.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-02-2012, 11:06 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

I finally caught my first pike on a fly rod. Caught the little guy on an olive bugger. Took me forever to catch one of these things but I'm deffianetly going to keep trying for one of this big guys.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 07-08-2012, 10:13 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: warmwater pics

Hooked on bugs that first eye is a hog! The only time we get em on mayflies is in late May. Congrats man nice SBs and eyes . Look foward to more.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-09-2012, 01:11 AM

oaktree is on a distinguished road

Just caught my first catfish fly fishing. Used a mayfly #12.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:12 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

After catching 10-14" fish all day long, I knew immediately that this was a pig fish. My first 20 incher of the season. Took way too long to land though and with very warm water temps I wanted to release it quickly. A couple bad pictures later and he was jetting back across the river into his little undercut bank.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:48 AM

rem308 is on a distinguished road

I don't post too often but wanted to share a few that I caught on the fly this past weekend -- farm pond fishin'.

I started the morning with a grasshopper imitation, which landed several small gills:
I switched over to a white foam popper and caught some better fish, still didn't catch any of the big largemouth that live in the reeds.

It was a great morning on the fly, caught many fish but finally the heat won the battle!