The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1660Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: warmwater pics

Very nice. Just curious, why do you call them wipers? Is that a local term?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:32 PM

vanish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Uhhh ... instead of what?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:41 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Nick,

That is not a Striped Bass, it's a Hybrid Bass, or a White Rock Bass. That's where the term Wiper comes from.
nick k likes this.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:08 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you swirl. I was aware that they were striper hybrids, but I've only seen them be referred to as stripers or hybrids on this forum. I guess wiper makes sense given white rock bass.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:11 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a pic of a small, schoolie Striper to compare. You can see the profile is a little different, Wipers are also usually a little lighter and the markings are less defined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
Another first for me!

Click the image to open in full size.

Hopefully a wiper this weekend!
baseman1 likes this.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:16 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

?? I've only seen them called "wipers" on this forum ??
(I get a chuckle out of it every time )

Funny though, someone starts using the word "wiper" here and suddenly an ad for Charmin pops up on the side bar
swirlchaser and milt spawn like this.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:54 PM

pkins44 will become famous soon enoughpkins44 will become famous soon enough

Picked this guy up today. A nice change from all the Rock Bass.

http://www.dupageriverflyfishing.com
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Here's a pic of a small, schoolie Striper to compare. You can see the profile is a little different, Wipers are also usually a little lighter and the markings are less defined.

Nothing like making things confusing but the top picture is a White Bass . The picture of the Hybrid Striper or White Rock or Wiper or the many other names it is called is on the previous page at the bottom. The easiest way to distinguish the wiper from Striped Bass or White Bass is to look at it's stripes . The stripes on the White Rock are broken towards the top of the row . Look at Swirls Striper no break in the lines then look at the White Bass above no broken lines . Want to really get confused ? Try fishing the river that has all three in WV , the bigger ones are easy to ID but when they are under 10 inches you really have to look. What always amazes me is how a fish created from the cross of two species with straight stripes ends up with broken stripes ! Thank you this was my attempt to really muddy things up ! Haha!

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
I swear I didn't know my hope was going to some true. Only dang fish I landed all weekend! Lost one other, probably a walleye by the way it reacted.

First ever wiper on the fly. Pink over White 3" Clouser.

Note the broken lines at the front tip of the fish. Definitely a Wiper!
pkins44 likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-01-2013, 09:03 AM

vanish will become famous soon enough

Hah, I wasn't sure if you meant a different fish or using the term "hybrid striped bass" ... I think you can see why I don't use that term, too dang long!

The regulations here in Colorado refer to them as Wipers.

Palmetto bass is another term I've seen. Above is the first time I've heard of "White Rock Bass"
Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

They are also all refered too as wipers here.

i've been catching a bunch of bluegill and the occasionall bass at a park at lunch time. if I get one of the big ones i've been seeing to eat there will be pictures.

Storm Drain Bonefisher