The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1660Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 02:43 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: warmwater pics

Click the image to open in full size.

That is freakin awsome. They fight like hooking the back end of a truck don't they? Is that a White Sturgeon? It has more distinct scutes than the Lake Sturgeon we have here. If this keeps up we may need to add a Sturgeon subforum. Yours make number 3 I have seen posted on here. Way to cool. Best thing I have seen in days.

Edit: I'm adding my Lake Sturgeon so you can see the difference in the two species. Lake Sturgeon smooth out once they get up around 3' long. When they are a foot long type fish, they are like grabbing ahold of a seriously mad rose bush. Hard on the hands. A lot less well maked than your is. Yours is actually a pretty fish. I wish there was a way to like that post twice.

itchmesir and baseman1 like this.

Last edited by Guest1; 05-06-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:16 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by john montana View Post

I wish I could like a post more then once, this is awesome!
Guest1 and carp and bass like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-06-2013, 09:09 AM

norcoflyfisher is on a distinguished road

So jealous! Sturgeon are on my list for sure. Now I just gotta find em.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Question, when &where are you allowed to lift a Sturgeon out of the water?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:54 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Depends on the species, we have 3 of them in MO, and 2 of them you can do whatever you want to with them.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-06-2013, 10:00 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Joni, we could have legally killed and kept that sturgeon, out here in OR they have a slot limit for them and that fish was within the slot. I and my fishing partners are well aware of all regulations and abide by the regs.

We did release the fish and david fought it with incredible skill. He put his rod and tippet to the limit in order to get the fish in quickly as we had no intention of keeping the fish. The fish swam off strongly, and while that can mean little I believe this fish was fine.
Guest1 and wishiniwerfishin like this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 05-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. Idaho is a no go, which is strange as you see pictures of people holding their heads out of water ...I realize the weight and lack of bones is a main issue, but always struck me funny that the head and mouth weren't a concern...LOL

Thanks John and Dan..I have hope.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:25 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Old 05-06-2013, 04:47 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Depends on the species, we have 3 of them in MO, and 2 of them you can do whatever you want to with them.
As far as I know, you can only keep the shovelnose in Missouri. The lake and palid are endangered...
Old 05-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Question, when &where are you allowed to lift a Sturgeon out of the water?
Here you can. In fact till yesterday, when the season closed for them, you could clobber one. For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would want to. Just what you really want to eat. A bottom feeder that is at least 25 years old, that is so fatty you can light them like a candle from a river with three paper mills. Not my idea of edible.

Then there is the whole thing where they only spawn once every 4 to 7 years (individual fish, there is a spawning run yearly) and don't do it till they are pretty close to 4 feet long. These are not a species that take being beaten up on very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john montana View Post
The fish swam off strongly, and while that can mean little I believe this fish was fine.
I am sure it was. They are actually very tough fish.