The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1624Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 11:46 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: warmwater pics

Click the image to open in full size.

The moment when I realized the net might not be such a great idea. Hah...

Carp on the Fly
Old 05-07-2013, 11:58 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

One of those "I think I'm gonna need a bigger boat...err...net" type of moments.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:31 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

I could have used a net on this one in the kayak. Gave me a good sleigh ride.

I hate bringing bigger cats into the kayak, bad stuff can happen. I've been stabbed, slimed, rods thrashed, beer spilt, etc. But the fly was at an odd angle so I had to bring it in, figured I might as well get a photo. Luckily it chilled out.

The Fly - This was the fourth trip for this one, I put it on in the morning and fish it the majority of the day. I bet it has caught 30 - 40 fish. It's back in the box ready for another trip.
Joni, swirlchaser and vanish like this.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by john montana View Post

The moment when I realized the net might not be such a great idea. Hah...
I just grab them by the tail. They have sort of rough skin and it makes for a pretty good handle. Plus even in a big net, they can just blow the hoop out of them. How long was that fish?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbilly View Post
I could have used a net on this one in the kayak. Gave me a good sleigh ride.

I hate bringing bigger cats into the kayak, bad stuff can happen. I've been stabbed, slimed, rods thrashed, beer spilt, etc. But the fly was at an odd angle so I had to bring it in, figured I might as well get a photo. Luckily it chilled out.

The Fly - This was the fourth trip for this one, I put it on in the morning and fish it the majority of the day. I bet it has caught 30 - 40 fish. It's back in the box ready for another trip.
Mmmmmmm Kitty fritters
riverbilly likes this.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:02 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

We didn't measure it Diver Dan. We brought the fish in really fast, and it was plenty hot...the net came in handy actually. I don't think I could have tailed it without having the head under some control. The entire episode took may 10 minutes, but we were intentionally pushing the edge of the tippet. We figured either land it fast, or lose it fast...no prolonged battle.
Guest1 likes this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 05-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just looking at it I'd guess it's in the 50's. Certainly not shorter than 48". Heck of a feat in 10 minutes. Did it jump? In the summer Lake Sturgeon almost always jump immediately after setting the hook on them.

I also have to give you the thumbs up on landing it that fast because it had to be seriously green after such a short fight. Must have gone rodeo on it. It would have sucked to have caught a fish like that and lost it. Great team effort there.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:24 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing as far as I know only four guys have caught sturgeon of any kind on the fly and Dan and Johns friend are two of them. None even entered in the record books! . Outstanding catches!
While Im on the subject Dan looks like your long run with the Mooneye may be coming to an end this year. In case you didnt know a slightly larger one is pending. Been there.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

that's it, I'm going after surgeon this weekend at the surgeon spot. I've got to get mine!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:31 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
that's it, I'm going after surgeon this weekend at the surgeon spot. I've got to get mine!
Might get some strange looks walking into the hospital with a fishing pole.....