The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1614Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 10:39 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: warmwater pics

Dan, david and I both guessed 48 inches to be honest. I am a carp guy...so I carry a scale. I don't guess at weights or lengths, so as a general rule if I didn't weigh it or measure it I just don't know...but yeah...we figured 48 inches. Hah...

Speaking of carp...we caught plenty of those too!

Click the image to open in full size.

It was a good day.

Carp on the Fly
Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Just looking at it I'd guess it's in the 50's. Certainly not shorter than 48". Heck of a feat in 10 minutes. Did it jump? In the summer Lake Sturgeon almost always jump immediately after setting the hook on them.

I also have to give you the thumbs up on landing it that fast because it had to be seriously green after such a short fight. Must have gone rodeo on it. It would have sucked to have caught a fish like that and lost it. Great team effort there.

It didnt jump that i saw and i was the guy taking most the photos. It did boil at the surface a lot and made a few strong runs before David really put the hammer down on it to get it in fast so we could release it.

It was one of the most amazing experiences i have had fly fishing so far, and i just watched. David and John are incredibly skilled anglers and put on a carp fly fishing clinic that day that you wouldnt believe. I however, got smoked and only landed one while losing two others.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:18 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

John, Are those Orvis Sonic Silvers? If so, How do you like them? How long have you been using them?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:14 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Might get some strange looks walking into the hospital with a fishing pole.....
Bahaha! Damn phone auto-correct! Sturgeon**
Old 05-08-2013, 08:16 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
Bahaha! Damn phone auto-correct! Sturgeon**
Happens to the best of us.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

John, I'm still jealous! I've caught one on the spey and a worm fly, but nothing else. What's you method for muddy waters with little to no visibility? what flies, colors, etc.?

I'll be trying the carp with my new cross s1 soon! I can't wait!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:43 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
John, Are those Orvis Sonic Silvers? If so, How do you like them? How long have you been using them?
Those are silver sonics...I have had them a couple of months, and honestly, I like them. they are comfortable, and have enough sizes to get the ones that fit right (mine are medium/long). that is a big key to me. I put a tiny hole in them from some barbed wire, but orvis offered to fix them (i just slapped some goo on 'em and called it good). The convertible top is awesome...i love that feature. In short, very good wader. My ONLY complaint is the boot feet are slightly bulky in my boots...more so than my simms waders. Overall though, I would absolutely recommend these. Great price point too.

full disclosure, orvis sent me my pair. I haven't written an official review yet (nor did they ask for one) but the above sums it up well.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Quote:
John, I'm still jealous! I've caught one on the spey and a worm fly, but nothing else. What's you method for muddy waters with little to no visibility? what flies, colors, etc.?

I'll be trying the carp with my new cross s1 soon! I can't wait!
Tough one...in general I simply look for clearer water! bad answer I know. If i can't at least see the dark shape of the fish, i usually move on to other locations. I do know guys that use an indicator and suspend flies and fish to bubbles and swirls with success. You might give that a go, or hang a fly beneath a dry fly. They will eat even if you can't see, but for my fish, if i can't see them eat i really can't catch them. Flies...just comes down to forage. match the forage, and have faith they will eat it. you cannot carp fish without a large degree of faith!

Carp on the Fly
Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM

so far. the worm fly is the only thing that has worked. I need to take a picture of the water and post it. I don't know the forage, to much. I would assume damsel flies, clams, and worms are big around here. I've also started to tie things a lot smaller. that seems to work. I get a lot of cats on the worm fly as well...
Old 05-08-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
so far. the worm fly is the only thing that has worked. I need to take a picture of the water and post it. I don't know the forage, to much. I would assume damsel flies, clams, and worms are big around here. I've also started to tie things a lot smaller. that seems to work. I get a lot of cats on the worm fly as well...
dig into the bottom and sift to see what you dig up...surefire way to get a great sense of what they are eating. That makes a huge difference.

Carp on the Fly
Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 PM

I will have to do that, soon. I've caught a ton of drum while attempting carp. I'm hoping to run into some buffalo, as well. Also, around here people fish for sturgeon with worms. However, that's on the Missouri river. I'm sure if I dredge the bottom, I have a good chance at catching one.