The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1469Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 08:51 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Re: warmwater pics

Posted a pic of a frog in me earlier reply, but took the time to upload a video this morning. I was fishing the local lake last spring and was at the deep hole (old rock quarry) that is the start of the creek that flows from the lake. This hole is deep and the variety of aquatic life in it is sometimes amazing. I saw a frog swimming against the strongest current that enters the hole from the spillway (guess frogs aren't all that smart) and laid down my rod and watched it (and took pics) for several minutes. It would get close, pause the swimming action, and be swept back out several feet, then resume the effort to reach solid ground. It finally made it to a small rock ledge, climbed up, rested for a while, then made it's way further upstream to get to the "falls" that blocked it from going any further. When I finally left for the day it was still setting there.

video link - (not sure why it won't play but if you click the title at the top it opens the photobucket page)
Can anyone help me get it to open on this link?
" title="froggieswimmin.mp4 video by wabi_pics - Photobucket" target="_blank">froggieswimmin.mp4 video by wabi_pics - Photobucket

At a resting place-
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by wabi; 05-15-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:25 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I kept hoping for a fat Bass to come up an inhale that frog...
Old 05-15-2011, 08:09 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

This big girl gave me a good workout with 4X tippet,

bass fishing was great fly rod schooling for my son too..

Old 05-15-2011, 09:17 PM

martin trj is on a distinguished road

From Granada Park in Arizona here is the mystery fish. Not sure what it is, maybe some type of cichlid but fought good and loved greenie weenie flies.

mbchilton likes this.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin trj View Post
From Granada Park in Arizona here is the mystery fish. Not sure what it is, maybe some type of cichlid but fought good and loved greenie weenie flies.

That's a really cool looking fish. Maybe if you have a good pet store around there, you can take the photo in and find out what it is. I think Cichlid of some kind is a really good bet. I'd have been tempted to get it to an aquarium. Pretty fish.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:38 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Looks a lot like a Rio Grande Cichlid. I would venture to guess female as well.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:58 AM

martin trj is on a distinguished road

These fish were plentiful there. I checked on line and it does look a lot like the Rio Grande cichlid. Males have a forehead so I also think it's a female which was getting ready to spawn. Too bad I moved to CA so no chance to fish Granada anymore, I use to work a block from there so for around two years I fly fished it every single day during my lunch break...I caught a lotta fish and I lost a lotta weight HAHA.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:14 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Odd Pumpkin Seed, must the stretched model with the extra long tail...

Old 05-26-2011, 05:35 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

got my new 2 weight into some hot bluegill action down at the local pond. nothing really big, but on the light rod, it didnt matter. caught about 45 in hour or so all of em topwater on a foam spider pattern. what a blast!!

ARFE
Old 06-14-2011, 07:52 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

I went to my local spot on the river... reports were that the river is currently extremely high and unfishable... well, it is high...

codym likes this.