The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1560Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 09:52 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: warmwater pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgeridoo View Post
Couple pics from the Johnny Hoe River, NWT. As far as I know this one of the most northern population of walleye in the world, just south of the Arctic Circle. Was just casting from shore where we were camping.
Click the image to open in full size.

Also caught some beauty pike as well.

Nick
While I love the pics and all that, neither of these species are warm water species. Both are cool-cold though pike have a wider tolerance such that some consider them warm water fish (they ain't). I just sayin', is all.

King Joe, Outa Here!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:48 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by king joe View Post
While I love the pics and all that, neither of these species are warm water species. Both are cool-cold though pike have a wider tolerance such that some consider them warm water fish (they ain't). I just sayin', is all.

Just kidding. Couldn't resist.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Due to their tolerance for varied temps Walleye and all Esox species are generally listed as warm water species . Trouts , Graylings,Whitefish and other Salmonoids are generally listed as cold water species . That's just the way they are classified . Hey you can catch Bass and Bluegills through the ice and they are still warmwater species!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-06-2013, 12:02 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

Water was 70F...in the sub-Arctic, those are warmwater species.
theboz likes this.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:06 AM

"Due to their tolerance for varied temps Walleye and all Esox species are generally listed as warm water species . Trouts , Graylings,Whitefish and other Salmonoids are generally listed as cold water species . That's just the way they are classified . Hey you can catch Bass and Bluegills through the ice and they are still warmwater species!"

Uhh...nope. Maybe in Pennsylvania....they are listed as warm water...but they ain't. Additionally, 'tolerance' is not a criteria for classifying. Its the optimal temperature for growth that gets the nod. For that, pike are one of the ONLY species of fish that GROW in the winter. All others either maintain or lose during the winter months.
Additionally, catching fish through the ice don't make them cold classed....it makes them hungry (and see my above paragraph).
Regarding Esocidae in general....that is a wide range of species with equally wide range of species niche requirements. Muskie...are indeed warm water...though you'd be hard pressed to find many that could tell the difference between pike and muskie. Pickeral...true pickeral (not the incorrect name given to walleye)...and the various sub-species range for true cold (grass) to warm (chain and red-finned).
On all this...I'm just sayin' is all. Pike and walleyes...are cool-cold water indicator species.

"Water was 70F...in the sub-Arctic, those are warmwater species."

Wha?

Guaranteed the WATER was not 70 degrees unless you are immediately in or downstream of a warmwater jet/volcanic infuence. Air temp is seldom to never water temp. 70 degree water...is lethal to absolutely ALL North American Fish; warm water through cold classed.

But, we are off topic. Sorry for the highjack.

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:28 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Wha?

Guaranteed the WATER was not 70 degrees unless you are immediately in or downstream of a warmwater jet/volcanic infuence. Air temp is seldom to never water temp. 70 degree water...is lethal to absolutely ALL North American Fish; warm water through cold classed.

But, we are off topic. Sorry for the highjack.

King Joe Outa Here!
I think you are sadly mistaken Joe. I guarantee nearly every impoundment here in Missouri is above 70 degrees. They are full of fish. They are very alive. Lake of the Ozarks is currently 81 degrees. The lake even has a walleye population as well as all catfish, largemouth bass, panfish including lots of crappie.
theboz likes this.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:55 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

They are classified by biologists through out the world as warm water fish ! No argument just fact! Do some research.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

It's a scientific classification doesn't mean they cant or do live in varied temps it's just their classification.
mridenour likes this.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:12 PM

I am a biologist...with degrees in BOTH fish and wildlife biology with specializations in both aquatic and terrestrial ecology. Additionally, some of my research was specifically spent on both pike...and walleye.

Sorry for the pissing match (really theboz?)....pointless, is what this has become.

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:34 PM

Im not in the habit of pissing matches not my style! Just stating the facts . Tolerance of water temperature is not how Game Fish are classified . Honestly I catch most of my Walleye in very cold water . But any publication or chart you see lists them as well as Pike as Warmwater Gamefish. Minnesota and Maine send posters out titled Warmwater Gamefish with both species listed . The IGFA has a North American Warm Water Game Fish Poster with both fish on it . That's why the posts on the forum have them in the Warm Water Section. It's just a way to recognize groups of fish in a general manor .
As I said do some research I'm not pulling this out of the air it's common knowledge! No argument intended . Just stating the facts!
Didgeridoo and mridenour like this.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:12 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

Yes the water was 70F where we caught the majority of our walleye. The main body of the lake was 55F and when we traveled down to Great Bear Lake, the water temp was 36F. Pike and walleye were both in 60-70F as well as we caught a couple pike on Great Bear in a shallow bay where the temp was 45F. Water warms up fast when you have 22 hours of daylight.

And with that, here's a double header we got. Fish on the right was on a fly and the one of the left was with a swimbait, both sight fished and we saw them both eat. 47" and 39". Unfortunately my guests were awful at holding fish.

dakotakid likes this.