The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1660Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 02:40 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: warmwater pics

Personal best sheephead on the fly. Right around 24". What a fun fight he was. They don't really take off but they bulldog like no other.

Click the image to open in full size.
Joni, von behr, ted4887 and 6 others like this.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:45 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Great looking fish.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Personal best sheephead on the fly. Right around 24". What a fun fight he was. They don't really take off but they bulldog like no other.

I first learned of these fish several years ago while at Port Aransas, TX. Been my dream to land one on a fly. Very cool.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:33 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

My go-to has been a basic black bugger with uv estaz. Dumbbell eyes so it rides hook up because I'm having to drag it along the bottom with a sinking line. Lesson learned these all get the heads covered in ccg otherwise the rocks/zebra muscles make short work of the thread holding on the dumbbells. Now they are pert near bomb proof.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:07 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post

Great looking fish ! I have a question is that the same fish we call in my area a freshwater Drum? When someone says Sheepshead I think of the Salt Water fish which looks similar except it has stripes . Just curious, thanks.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-28-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Great looking fish ! I have a question is that the same fish we call in my area a freshwater Drum? When someone says Sheepshead I think of the Salt Water fish which looks similar except it has stripes . Just curious, thanks.
Yes sir. It is a freshwater drum.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I first learned of these fish several years ago while at Port Aransas, TX. Been my dream to land one on a fly. Very cool.
Come to Missouri, they are the highest populated fish in MO. They over take even largemouth, gar, carp and the Asian bigheads. They are super fun to catch on the fly, I know many places to get em. But you need heavy sink tips and 8wts.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-28-2013, 09:30 PM

It's crazy. During spawn for freshwater drum you can actually hear a drumming sound if the population is big enough. They also have rocks in their head... Not really a rock but an oloith that helps them determine up and down in dirty water.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Come to Missouri, they are the highest populated fish in MO. They over take even largemouth, gar, carp and the Asian bigheads. They are super fun to catch on the fly, I know many places to get em. But you need heavy sink tips and 8wts.
Haha. You must be referring to hammerhead sculpins and crayfish patterns. I still don't have them figured out in my area. You can come up and school me anytime!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-04-2013, 04:49 PM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

love of poppers, leads to this ) & attracts the curious alligators
baseman1 likes this.