The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 07:17 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Re: warmwater pics

Here are two that I pulled in on my spey rod this weekend.

Click the image to open in full size.

baseman1 and argail like this.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:13 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
That is a MONSTER!! And I'm pretty sure it's a Green not a hybrid! What a fish!! Love monster sunfish of any kind!!

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

On further thought it is definately a Green Sunfish and probably a tippet record at that unless you used a 20lb tippet!
Nah, the blue in the face and the blue body speckling is not typical of green sunfish. Never the less, thats a KILLER sunfish!!

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-09-2013, 09:51 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Nah, the blue in the face and the blue body speckling is not typical of green sunfish. Never the less, thats a KILLER sunfish!!
Interesting. Whats your guess on ID?
Old 09-11-2013, 07:52 PM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
cool, familiar faces

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

well, a little breams...
Old 09-12-2013, 12:25 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Interesting. Whats your guess on ID?
Im going to go with your green/redear hybrid. The readears will typically crossbreed pretty readily/easily and the short ear tag on that fishes gill plate coupled with the speckling of the body pattern screams redear to me.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-12-2013, 01:05 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Although Green Sunfish hybridize more than any other sunfish I stick by my guns and say it's all Green. The red rim around the ear flap and the blue markings are common in Greens. They seem to look a little different from region to region but the main characteristics are the same the mouth the eye, the dorsal and pec fin. I guess with that one it might take a DNA test! Haha! I know one thing that if it was caught in the right tippet the IGFA would have no problem qualifying it as a Green Sunfish record!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-12-2013, 03:05 PM

Mouth also look alittle small to me. I've caught em big before, i accidently released a line class record a time or two. They are the most common fish in my storm drain. It seems too be too tall and deep, not long and wide like I see usually.

typical for me, i guess I can see some of the similarities, but all that blue is not common around here.
theboz, baseman1, argail and 1 others like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-12-2013, 03:26 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

See up by me the blue is very common. When I go to WV not so . Sort of like Bluegills how they have so many different looks from area to area and even in the same lake! We ll never know since he caught 7or8 years ago to late for a test now! Like you said still an awesome looking fish either way!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-12-2013, 03:47 PM

How about that! I have never caught them north of this approximate latitude, i never really assumed/thought much about them changing that drastictly but you are right, bluegill can be 40 different colors from the same lake...heck both the bluegill in my aquarium are complately different colors haha.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-16-2013, 08:05 AM

pjcalla is on a distinguished road

I've been fishing a local river for the last few weekends. Until Sunday morning, all I've caught were little dinks. Bluegill and two small smallies. I was starting to get frustrated, trying different access points, different flies, etc. I stopped at Orvis to pick up my repaired rod (their warranty is great) on Saturday morning after a frustrating session on the river. I asked the fishing manager what flies to use, since I was essentially striking out. I had been using terrestrials, drifting them around down timber, rocks, seams, etc., and streamers in deep pools, just like you would fishing for trout, but could not get consistent takes (except for little bluegill). He suggested the "Sneaky Pete" in chartreuse and another fly that was sold out at the moment. I thought, "what the hell" and bought one. I like wading in the river better than standing on the shore of local ponds, but the lack of fish was starting to wear on me.

Sunday morning, my buddy and I went out both armed with the Sneaky Pete, and we were on fish! We fished the same spots that I had before, but we were getting takes. All told, in the first hour of fishing, I had landed four, he two, and they were quality fish. My biggest two were every bit of 20", maybe a bit bigger and two in the 16-18" range. He landed his first bass on a flyrod ~16". Man, I love catching smallies on the flyrod! Anyway, here is the only pic I took, the first 20":

The pic really doesn't do it justice, and you can see the sneaky pete in the water below.
argail and jbird like this.