The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 03:22 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about
Default where are the smallies?

i Live in ohio and havent fly fished the little miami river until this year. For the past two weeks ive been fishing the river but havent had any luck with the smallies, ive only caught two small ones. I know the river has good sized bass in it, but have no clue where they are or where to look. where should i expect them to be around this time of year? What depth and lures should i use? and also where should i look for them later in the year? thanks for the help!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:44 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all
Default Re: where are the smallies?

Well I know around here (VT) in a couple of weeks they will begin to move up rivers that drain into Lake Champlain to spawn....and thats about all I know...
Old 04-19-2011, 06:12 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

thanks, any information helps. so most likely theyre not even in the river yet? i need to wait for "pre spawn"? how long will they stay in the river?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Check the water temperature. I think it's unseasonably a bit cooler than it usually is. The closer to F + the better they like it. Here in VA the temp is still running 53-55. They are around but aren't moving a lot...besides the Shad are running and the smallies can wait!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:03 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

I know in some areas there are smallmouths in the river all the time. These are mostly larger rivers. When the smallies travel up to spawn they are traveling up smaller rivers.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 PM

water temo is still pretty cool, plus heavy rains might have an impact on them . Any ideas on what patters i should throw?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

I'm betting they are scattered but find a bit of warm water from either a sunny bay/bend or from some warmer water running into the main stem and they'll be feeding there.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 04-20-2011, 05:35 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Alrighty youngin...patterns. Clousers...white, chartreuse, brownish orange.
Lead eyed crayfish imitators.
Poppers...white,chartreuse.
White May flies(if they hatch in your area)
Most times I smallie fish, I see where they prefer "gaudy" colors. Do be afraid to experiment. And for now, it is a bit too cold for smallies to come into the streams yet. Give it about 3 weeks or until you get 3 or 4 days of warm weather.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:49 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

With the cool spring water temps the Smallies are going to be hunkered down in slow deep pools. They will eat, but think of presentations that will put the fly right in there faces, they aren't going to chase many flies. I would look at small white streamer patterns fished slowly around any rocks or logs that provide them with a current break.

Dan
Old 04-20-2011, 08:58 AM

ok great feedback! looks like ill take a trip to the fly tying store when you say slow should i try to just "walk" the line through my hands? or twitch and let it sit?