The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 PM

flcracker83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to flcracker83
Default What Flies for Tilapia

What Flies work best for Tilapia, I got em all over the place in the creek behind my house and can't get em to take anything, I'm about to take up bowfishin they're big and it's drving me crazy I can't get one, Help a Cracker out pleeeease
Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Default Re: What Flies for Tilapia

I've done well with a small easy to tie streamer that I use called my BS Special. Use a size 10, 2X long hook with a large copper beadhead. Wrap the body with dark peacock Estaz and use a small amount of dark olive maribou for the wing and tail. Add a pinch of orange maribou fluff for the throat and you have it. This fly and I held the all tackle IGFA World Record for Tilapia for several years. Some South African fly fishing friends have told me they do well with a San Juan Worm and like my BS Fly they fish it almost motionless under a strike indicator. Good luck with the Tilapia! By the way I caught the fish over in Orlando, just off of Curry Ford.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 PM

Very nice, I'll have to tie a couple up. I knew that record came outta Orlando, so your the one that held it huh, awesome. By any chance you a local round here?
Old 04-20-2011, 02:49 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
I've done well with a small easy to tie streamer that I use called my BS Special. Use a size 10, 2X long hook with a large copper beadhead. Wrap the body with dark peacock Estaz and use a small amount of dark olive maribou for the wing and tail. Add a pinch of orange maribou fluff for the throat and you have it. This fly and I held the all tackle IGFA World Record for Tilapia for several years. Some South African fly fishing friends have told me they do well with a San Juan Worm and like my BS Fly they fish it almost motionless under a strike indicator. Good luck with the Tilapia! By the way I caught the fish over in Orlando, just off of Curry Ford.
That is very cool!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Wow great info from Chuck!

flcracker--Good luck chasing the tilapia down there and let us know how it goes-- Have you tried for peacock bass down there? i know we have a bunch of FL folks on the forum that chase them, and the peacocks don't seem too shy about whacking flies.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:24 AM

martin trj is on a distinguished road

I've caught tilapia with these flies
Click the image to open in full size.

I've noticed they love orange flies.
Best of luck.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:58 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Was a local for years but now out here in Wyoming! Try to get back as often as can be. I strongly suspect that any of those dart looking small mnnow flies would work really well especially after their fry hatches. Just suspend it over the nest area and they take their young of the year in their mouths to protect them so perhaps they'd mistake this and take it in.
Chuck S

Will Rodgers

Old 04-21-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Have you tried for peacock bass down there? i know we have a bunch of FL folks on the forum that chase them, and the peacocks don't seem too shy about whacking flies.
Nah that's down around the coast, I'm more of a swamp backwoods kinda guy.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:27 PM

Click the image to open in full size.
That is the ex-record holding fish.
Chuck S

Will Rodgers

Old 04-14-2012, 12:29 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Simiseal Leeches work well here in AZ, plus I've had good luck with dry any patterns.