The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: First post..... ever. What type of line/leader for pan fish?

Welcome to the forum steelie, I see you are already collecting pointers. The type of fish that you are asking about were never my focus so I will leave you in the hands of this very capable group of advisers.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Welcome to the Forum...You got great advice from all who posted...

Dan
Old 01-16-2011, 02:48 PM

drc566 is on a distinguished road

Hi steel adict
Try this one for size.
If you would like to catch big bass, try an 8wt with a 6 foot leader, or sink tip and fish 4inch plastic worms.
If you hold up your hands in horror at that thought, most of the flies you tie are made from synthetic material, if you wish to fish the fly and spend most of your day catching very few bass carry on, I left the closed mind club many years ago.
I am a brit that lives in Fort Worth, I have spent this winter fishing for Crappie on the blood worm flies, have been catching them up to 1.5lb regullaly.
Try fishing for carp, if you catch them you will have earnd every one
Old 01-16-2011, 05:20 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Welcome Steelie!

You have a lot of good info already. Just think of panfish as trout that are more..... accommodating to fly fisherman, and you'll do OK. I use my basic trout fly selection for panfish, and never once had them complain.

Just remember that fishing in a lake is a lot different than fishing in a stream/river. The mends are different, the currents different and the terrain is different. But the panfish make up for it by being not so fussy.

You should do OK with a floating line, unless you want to fish down deep(i.e. bass), then you might want to consider some sink tip or full sink line.

Again, welcome to the forum and good luck!
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I spend most of my fishing time on small local lakes and ponds going after panfish. My go-to rod is a 7' 3wt with a wf3f line and homemade furled leaders. (made like this -

I use 6# mono and keep the leaders at about 5-6' furled with a 3' tippet stepped down from 3X to 5X with a surgeon's knot and perfection loop to attach it to the leader. Very quick/easy to make and it works!

When fishing nymphs or wets I use a flouro leader made the same way.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
I spend most of my fishing time on small local lakes and ponds going after panfish. My go-to rod is a 7' 3wt with a wf3f line and homemade furled leaders. (made like this - YouTube - Building Furled Leaders Without Jigs or Tools

I use 6# mono and keep the leaders at about 5-6' furled with a 3' tippet stepped down from 3X to 5X with a surgeon's knot and perfection loop to attach it to the leader. Very quick/easy to make and it works!

When fishing nymphs or wets I use a flouro leader made the same way.
I use make some of my leaders that way as well, they have a real nice presentation for a dry fly.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Don't forget to try Tandem Rigs. It can be a blast with Pan Fish and lightweight gear.

Mini Gigs below exciter fly's
Wooly Bugger below Rubber Legs
GlowBall below any Mini Jig..

Oh.. and the "Feast de Resistanceeee" Popper / Dropper combo.
If they get on your dropper then the Popper goes nuts and will eventually get hooked up. Basically, Don't over fight your first pan fish until he attracts another fish hook up on your second hook...

Giggle like a girl time...

CritterGetter
Old 01-23-2011, 10:17 AM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about

Since I have a small lake filled with large mouth, various small pan fish, chain pickerel and perch about a half-mile from the front door, this become my default fishing expedition. I use a 5wt. six foot bass leader. For flies, pan fish are not the most discerning of eaters. Nothing like watching a fish slam on a "Sneaky Pete" or similar popper. Then again woolly buggers, both bead head and not, are great. To keep the bluegills off, I'll use a 2 to 6, if I want to get the blue gills, 6 to 8. Just have to adjust for your fish.

I also like the Tequeely Streamer
Streamer Fly Patterns / Tequeely Streamer -- Orvis

Fish for the edge of the weeds and when the lily pads come out, for the edge of the pads. Just be careful, those pads have strong stems if you get hooked on them. The large fish like to wait in ambush. For fun, I'll try to place the fly right on a pad and slowly pull it into the water. Nothing like a bug falling in front of a bass waiting below.

Don't underestimate pan fish fly fishing, those little blue gills put up one helluva fight. More fight to the once than a lot of other fish.

When I'm out in my kayak on a river, I'll use an 8wt. Makes it a lot easier to cast and bring in a fish while in that little boat. I'll also take long guide net. Last thing I need is to tip the kayak while reaching for a fish.

Welcome to the board and enjoy pan fish fishing.

Click the image to open in full size.

on a 6 Tequeely Streamer.

Last edited by sxm; 01-30-2011 at 10:13 AM.