The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 09:35 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice
Default Barbless or barbed?

I have been thinking of switching to barbless (or pinching down the barb) on some of my bass and pike flies. Would you guys recommend this? I have heard that you actually hook them better because the hook gets deeper into the mouth. It would also be really nice to remove the hook so easily too. So....any suggestions?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:23 AM

thonyb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Barbless or barbed?

i have went barbless and lost a few fish. if you pinch them you get that little bump and that is enough not to lose them.also makes for easier hook removal from flesh and clothes. There was this one time swinging a heavy fly i got my self in the back of the ear. almost pierced my ears I was glad that the barbed was pinch.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:32 AM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road

i pinch all my barbs and you will loose a few more fish but it is worth it to get it out easier and you wont have to worry about getting it out of clothing or brush that you snag under water and if you have them ona foam pad ina box or something it doesnt trash the foam
Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I usually tie on bl hooks or pinch them with a Dremmel ...I don't mind losing a fish for I release them all and I haven't noticed to lose more since I've been using them...You'll appreciate a bl hook when it's stuck in a finger,an ear,your vest or net...
Old 03-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi rmooney,

When I am fishing soft plastics for bass I always bend down the barb. I don't think I have lost any more fish due to the lack of a barb. The same for Trout and Salmon. The positives far out weigh any chance you might lose a fish because you don't have a barb.

Frank
Old 03-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been experimenting with a half pinched barb. Pinch the end of the barb down to the shank so there is a small hole between the crotch of the barb and where the tip of the barb meets the shank. The idea is to make it easier to set on boney jaws, ( lower profile = smaller hole ) but still have better holding power than a completely barbless hook. I'm sure it will hold just fine. See the post about the fly in my forearm. I have not had the chance to give it enough experimentation where I could say how well it works. As soon as I can't drive a truck on the river I'll let you know what I think of it.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I pinch the barbs on not only all my flies but on alot of my crankbaits and other lures,( or use barbles) keep tension on the fish and you'll be fine and like others have said its much less painfull to pull one out of your own hide,
Bear
Old 03-09-2010, 09:22 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I use barbless for all species. After an hour of casting a Green Weenie at some likely pocket water, I caught a nice LMB at 5pm today. It's mouth was
pretty well chewed up from people using barbed (and over-sized) hooks in this
mostly C&R section. I felt kind of bad for the bass, and thought of all the
trebles hooks this thing must have had stick in it's lips....

I was using a #12 Green Weenie, and had zero problems landing that bass.
This guy was caught last April 7 on a #10 Wooly Bugger, pinched barb, and
no problems at all:
Click the image to open in full size.

This channel cat was caught on a #12 pinched barb Green Weenie, and
while he made several runs, zero problems. You can see the Green Weenie
in the cat's upper lip:
Old 03-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Barbless is a huge help because the fly comes out of both you, fabrics, and the fish easier. Its a big time saver when fishing two flies and using a net to land fish.

I've been tying some dries on these hooks and will likely fish some soon-
Gamakatsu calls that their retainer bend and besides looking quite elegant, the straighter wire behind the point allows the hook to penetrate deeper still than a traditional bend. I'll report on how they do, though I'll likely need the water to warm a bit before the local sunfish and bass start looking up for snacks.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Squished here...I like the little bump.