The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 02:41 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about
Default First cast bass video (short)

Learning how to work the little video camera and fly rod at the same time.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First cast bass video (short)

Excellent video and nice bass to boot! Were you using a tripod to hold the camera?

Larry

Larry
Old 04-26-2011, 05:33 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Nice job on the video and fish! One piece of advise though, grabbing a fly rod at the middle with a fish on is asking for trouble. Hold the grip and lift the rod til it's at 90 degrees so the flyline ends up in your free hand. One solid kick from a fish while your holding the middle of the rod and you'll be in the market for a new tip.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:59 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Thanks. I actually made a monopod with a spike on the end. Not perfect, but quicker to set up when the ground is soft. I will probably go to a tripod when the ground hardens this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Excellent video and nice bass to boot! Were you using a tripod to hold the camera?

Larry

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

100% correct to point out. I was still trying to get the wind knots out of the flyline when the bass decided to straighten out the line for me. It took a little off-guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Nice job on the video and fish! One piece of advise though, grabbing a fly rod at the middle with a fish on is asking for trouble. Hold the grip and lift the rod til it's at 90 degrees so the flyline ends up in your free hand. One solid kick from a fish while your holding the middle of the rod and you'll be in the market for a new tip.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:19 PM

eobyone is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to eobyone

Little windy, that is the way to film wish I had that kind of good fortune.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eobyone View Post
Little windy, that is the way to film wish I had that kind of good fortune.
It is always windy around here. It can be a bear to cast, but I can often go with a heavier leader/tippet since the wind masks it. I think I need to put a piece of tape around the mic to keep the wind noise down. This pond is a bit of a cheater's pond, because it regularly produces big crappie, bluegill and 6-8 lb. bass.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:47 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
It is always windy around here. It can be a bear to cast, but I can often go with a heavier leader/tippet since the wind masks it. I think I need to put a piece of tape around the mic to keep the wind noise down. This pond is a bit of a cheater's pond, because it regularly produces big crappie, bluegill and 6-8 lb. bass.
That's not a cheater, thats a honey hole
Old 04-28-2011, 08:44 PM

flyzombie will become famous soon enoughflyzombie will become famous soon enough

Nice Video and Fish! Wife is taking off this weekend so I'm taking my boys fishing this weekend to nice little pod like that. Hopefully have some stories for you.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyzombie View Post
Nice Video and Fish! Wife is taking off this weekend so I'm taking my boys fishing this weekend to nice little pod like that. Hopefully have some stories for you.
Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with the boys.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:52 PM

flyzombie will become famous soon enoughflyzombie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with the boys.
The boys caught about 12 bluegill tonight mostly on wax worms, but I let them pull in about 4 bluegill off my 3wt. My son picked out a #10 Dave's hopper and I cast, and he stripped them in... They love the top water action to see the fish come up and get the fly.

I was hoping to get down to Mad River this weekend and look for some tools to start tying but I'm batching it this weekend with the boys and got too much to do. I was on Wapsi website looking at their poppers and I might pick up some soon, but they didn't have any pricing?? I might contact them for a catalog. I'll keep you posted on tying bass bugs.....