The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 03:36 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Exploring my new home State of New Jersey

I recently moved to NJ and was please to find out (thanks to Google Earth) that there were a few nice ponds in my new neighborhood. Grabbed my 6 wt, a pocket full of flies and a nice cigar. No Bass yet but plenty of angry pan fish to keep me busy. An Olive, unweighted Woolly had them biting pretty good. By 9AM the sun was up and they were crashing poppers as fast as I could cast them.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exploring my new home State of New Jersey

Very nice looking fish! Don't you just love Google Earth, great way to find new water to explore. I used it last weekend to find some backroads into a spot I wanted to try fishing, it sure is a handy tool.

Larry

Old 04-26-2011, 03:53 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Very nice looking fish! Don't you just love Google Earth, great way to find new water to explore. I used it last weekend to find some backroads into a spot I wanted to try fishing, it sure is a handy tool.

Larry
Thanks! It's a great tool. All they need to add is:
- Species of fish
- Average size
- When to catch 'em
- And what flies to use.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:45 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Jersey is a fun place fishing wise. You'll be loving the jetties in a few weeks, the bay should be starting to heat up now. The trout fishing is pretty darn good too.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That looks like fun,

Some of those larger Crappie probably thrashed around pretty good till you could get them reeled in. I think pan fish feel bigger than other fish of the same size or larger because of their shape.

Always enjoyed catching them,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-27-2011, 08:53 PM

Thumbs up Re: Exploring my new home State of New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
That looks like fun,

Some of those larger Crappie probably thrashed around pretty good till you could get them reeled in. I think pan fish feel bigger than other fish of the same size or larger because of their shape.

Always enjoyed catching them,

Ard
I agree. If BlueGills grew to 7 lbs I swear you would need a 10WT to get them out of the water!
I had so much fun there yesterday I went back again this morning. The fattest Crappie I've ever seen absolutely demolished my fly! Sorry the pic is fuzzy, I was shaking when I took it. Also found some nice sized Perch in the same honey hole.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:45 PM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road

Hi Swirlchaser,

Welcome to NJ! Where abouts did you move to? Looks like you had a couple of nice outings. Those fish remind me of an old haunt of mine in Warren County.

See you on the water!

Tim
Old 04-28-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadfly_nj View Post
Hi Swirlchaser,

Welcome to NJ! Where abouts did you move to? Looks like you had a couple of nice outings. Those fish remind me of an old haunt of mine in Warren County.

See you on the water!

Tim
I'm in Middlesex now. I've fished NJ Trout waters but I never came out this way for warm water fish. This spot is the watershed for Sayreville. You need to be a resident to get a permit so I'm guessing it doesn't get fished as much as your average lake. How's the fishing by you? Can you find a parking spot near the Gorge these days?
Old 04-28-2011, 07:57 AM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road

I haven't even gone near the gorge since prior to opening day. Monday evening I got into some nice dry fly fishing upstream of Califon and there were only a few guys fishing. Then they stocked Tuesday and the whole place has been a zoo!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:09 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

thats a huge ass crappie!! looks like a good time though

Storm Drain Bonefisher