The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 12:20 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Hopewell Lake

Decided to head down to Hopewell Lake for a bit to break in my "new" (recieved in Jan and then we had 5' of snow) 8 wt Cabela's combo. I parked and thought to first try off of the pier, since no one was there and I could cast back towards the shore.

I tied on a Green Weenie with a small shot to get it down. Within the first 5 minutes I had a strike, but was late in setting the hook. And then nothing. For 45 minutes.

Decided to switch to an olive wooly bugger and started to cast of the other side of the peir.

Cast a few and then I went to back cast and saw the rod was bent. Don't tell me I caught the pier again(don't ask) I thought and looked forward. There hanging from the line was a LM bass. I blinked for a minute and then quickly put the line back in as I reached for the net and get it through the railing. Meanwhile he makes a break for it and I have to reel him in with the hand holding the net. I pick him up and as I'm getting the net under him the fly pops out of his mouth. Lucky for me he fell right into the net.

Click the image to open in full size.

I tossed him back and kept fishing the bugger. I moved up the peir and cast it and gave it a minute to sink down. I started to retrieve and felt a steady pull. I pulled a little more and in the water saw a flash of white. Game on! I got him in and saw one of the biggest perch that I have seen in a long time.

Click the image to open in full size.

I had to leave a little after this, but I think that this is a great way to start this season.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hopewell Lake

Ant: Congrats! Looks like you had a great time and the photos were awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Larry
Old 03-25-2010, 10:09 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ant! Sounds like a great way to start off the season indeed. Thanks for
sharing the pics.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Way to go, sounds like a great day.