The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 07:51 PM

lefty2 is on a distinguished road
Default bluegill rod

3wt or 4? length? might someday use for trout in pa. any input appreciated.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:29 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: bluegill rod

Where are you fishing? I ask because a good sized bluegill running into thick weed cover will be a whole lotta trouble for a 3 wt. A 4 wt. won't be much better.... That being said, I use a 3 wt. for gills and sunnies, and smallish LM bass in some well covered lakes....

I have had to essentially take all 'pressure' off of the line and let the fish work himself out of the thick cover (ie-- try to run).

So either will work, IMHO a 3 wt. is a little more fun (although I doubt I'd tell the difference between a 3 and 4 wt.....)

Also I find a 7'6" length to be what I like---

If you are windy, you might appreciate a longer (8'6" or 9') 4 wt.....

Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:32 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Buy the rod you want for trout, and then use it for bluegill. I have used 4wt and 5wt fishing for bluegills, and even a 6wt when we started catching bluegills when we were bass fishing. I have never used a 3wt since we often get big hybrid bluegills and redears over 1lb and I have no desire to wear them out before landing them (negatively impacts the fine taste!). If you are fishing for average size bluegills (1/2-3/4 lb) then a 3wt should be fine as well.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:33 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

My bluegill rod is a 2wt. It's a hoot, even a small one is fun.

I agree with the raindog, depends on where you're at and what else you might hook into. I prefer to go a bit smaller because I like to feel the fight. Pulling a blue gill in with a 4wt just does not seem fun...my opinion.

GO with the 3wt.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:38 PM

lefty2 is on a distinguished road

i will be fishing, primarily, lakes with minimal cover. i do have a 5wt if i do pursue trout in the future, but i am beginning to feel that i need to be more numerical. i have a 7 and a 6 and a 5 and.....................well, i guess you understand.

Last edited by lefty2; 05-09-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:17 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

On calm days I use an 8 ft 4 wt; on windier days I use an 8.5 ft 5/6 wt. I usually cast a weighted Wooly Bugger under a fairly large foam indicator, to keep the fly at the right depth. Our lake (resevoir) has a very rocky bottom, and I lose too many flies if I allow them to sink to the bottom. The foam indicators are a bit too wind resistant for anything lighter than a 4.

I very seldom use poppers or foam spiders anymore. When I started hanging a nymph under the popper, I discovered I caught 80% of my fish on the dropper, so I switched to the dropper/indicator rig. The size 10 WB catches more bluegills than the smaller nymphs, and I've occasionally hooked bass and even catfish on the WB; great fun on a 4 wt.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 04-07-2010, 10:30 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I probably fish more for Bluegills than I do trout. I love to eat panfish. I have have limited myself to to flys. One being a betts or similar popper on top with a dropper using a Bully Bluegill fly 80% of the time in Olive. I use a 8foot 5wt. I totally agree with advice given. Buy what trout rod suits your area and use it for the gills.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapman View Post
i will be fishing, primarily, lakes with minimal cover. i do have a 5wt if i do pursue trout in the future, but i am beginning to feel that i need to be more numberical. i have a 7 and a 6 and a 5 and.....................well, i guess you understand.
I'm a big 4wt fan, but since you've got a 5 and are specifically after a bluegill rod, get a 3wt. I've got a 8'6" TFO Pro that's quite nice, and I bet Redington makes a similar rod.

This one would be great fun on sunfish, though it is a fully medium action rod (a bit slower than my TFO) - REDINGTON CT CLASSIC TROUT 8634 FLY ROD (8'6", 3WT, 4PC)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.