The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 08:15 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Grass Carp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpike View Post
I doubt anyone would pay to flyfish for grass carp. They are a very frustrating fish and a really a disappointing fight compared to commons. Carp are in almost every lake in this country, so there isn't a lack of uncrowded fishable water. I spend most of my days trying to get away from grass carp so I can focus on the commons.
Really?

I find that grass carp tend to fight WAY harder than Commons. Maybe that's just me though. I think they're a fantastic fish to chase with a fly rod.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:17 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

I regularly catch grass carp, White Amur, on poppers and a cottonwood seed fly that I tie. The last was 43"
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph..._inch_carp.jpg
Old 06-22-2011, 11:09 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

neat stuff, grass flys.. cool, it turned out on my outing today I checked out a pond I havent fished in years, I was getting things ready and looked out to see a huge fin sticking out of the water.. then I seen the huge dark shape under it and thought bet that could be a neat fight.. considering it was my first time out with a flyrod I was almost thinking what am I goign to do if this beast goes for my green dragonfly.. needless to say I had these monsters swim right under it many times to no avail.. perhaps next time with a grassy fly Ill have some luck.
mike
Old 06-23-2011, 07:38 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

If you're not too elitist, bread flies work really, really well on neighborhood ponds. Often you can find them eating grass clippings if a pond has just been mowed around the edge. They're easy to spot then, but they're extraordinarily spooky. It's a lot of fun though.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:11 PM

HELLFIGHTER5308 is on a distinguished road

I have caught them on a dark green wooly bugger. They will also take a plain gold shiny hook.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:46 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

I have a dark green bugger, anyone know how gass carp fishing is in colder months? its starting to get that way.. and since my creek is flooded I may resort to bank fishing for these critters.
mike
Old 12-05-2011, 12:34 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I have caught them quite often, but I cheat. I trained the grassies to eat corn and bread. I'll throw in either of them to get their attention, then I'll toss a similar looking fly. Fun to catch, but watch out for those pesky panfish if you go that route.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:39 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I've heard that a green San Juan Worm will work on grass carp. I have no personal experience, though.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:27 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Well a green san juan worm would resemble a grass clipping, so I don't see why not!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-05-2011, 09:40 PM

and i happen to have a sanjaun to try.. there is a small pond here that has some big ones, perhaps if the creeks are flooded when your in town we can try there AJ.