The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default TX Brookies- TR

I waited too long to go hit this section of river.

A front came through and cooled things off a bit, so I got to take it easy hitting the road, and grabbed some machacado and horchata.
Click the image to open in full size.

Being a few miles from the headwaters, I figured it would be skinny, but there was even less to it than I expected

Don't matter, the fish were plentiful, even though the top half was all sunfish,

And then the bass showed up hungry, and some were quite pretty

A little river can still cut big rocks

After fishing down a long curved section, I had a long straight walk back to the car. It was a little unnerving to not see my car until I was almost back to it. (wasn't 100% confident in the legality of my parking spot)

But, I decided I wasn't done yet, grabbed two beers, and hit the section upstream from the crossing I parked at. The best bass of the day was all of 80' from the car.

That ended up in a big swimmin' hole pool pretty quick, but was a gorgeous little section, and still produced 30 fish or so.

Even though I did break off a 5lb+ catfish, it was still a damn fine day of head clearin'. 80+ on a 3wt is a fine time.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TX Brookies- TR

BigCliff: Thanks for the trip report, that is a very nice looking area (good to see something besides snow or leaveless trees). Congrats on the great looking fish! Like you said it must have been fun on a 3 wt.

Larry

Old 05-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Like Larry I'm all about that no snow and green stuff The day looks like it was a beauty Cliff, plenty of fish, warm weather, cool water and some beer back in the cooler. The pictures are great and when you put up a bunch like this I feel like I got to know the place.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great report Cliff...for sure a nice place to fish
Old 05-03-2011, 12:49 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Great report and pics! I agree with you comment about those bass being pretty! They sure get colorful down that way. I love mixed bag fishing like that and the day you described sounds like getting close to heaven for sure!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 05-03-2011, 10:10 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Nice day! Hey, is that a cichlid in pic #12? milt.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:02 AM

whoknows is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Nice report, good day of solid fishing. I am in Ohio and have a bunch of family in Oklahoma and Texas and have fished some areas but I have never seen a fish like that before from the wild it looks like a cichlid, as Im a geek about aquariums and have seen African ones in an aquarium but never seen one with such a tall body like that one. Care to share about it if you know more about it? Thanks!

Last edited by whoknows; 05-04-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:44 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

That indeed is a Rio Grand Cichlid that Cliff caught. It is a blast to catch. You would swear it lost 6" and 1/2 pound after you land one. The fight is great.

Nice report Cliff. Days like that are definitely are one of the pleasures of living in Texas in the spring.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:38 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Nice report Cliff. Thanks. Looked like a fun day.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:19 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Great looking spot...looks like some of the places I used to sneak off to go fishing when I was a kid. I felt like nobody had ever been there before.