The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 08:17 AM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about
Default Two New Ponds

Well, I found two new ponds that, after yesterday, look to be very promising. Best part is, they are 5 minutes from home! I found them on Google earth and then remembered I had seen them before, but totally forgot about them. My buddy Jordan and I grabbed our gear and off we went.

The first one is an old golf course pond. Its been there for over 15 years and I actually remember seeing fish in the shallows walking by while playing golf. They have developed apartments near it now, but didn't touch the pond
I pulled a few perch and my buddy Jordan found this monster on a brown BH woolly bugger.

Click the image to open in full size.

The second pond is actually right across the street! It is out behind a retirement home. They have a dock on one side but 90% of the bank is untouched. Very good looking place. This time the roles were reversed. Jordan was on the perch like flies on honey and I found this guy!

I was using a red and white #6 clouser. It was strange to me. Nothing was hitting up close to the bank. I started throwing a ton of line, 50ft +, strait out and just fished it back in and three casts in I hooked up with that bass.

They don't seem to be as aggressive as normal. I'm thinking its the weather. It has been much colder than normal for this time of year. Still fun though!

-Jason
Old 05-05-2011, 08:26 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Re: Two New Ponds

Nice bass there!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

mtbrider405: Now is that sweet or what, finding two ponds that close to the house.....great use of Google Earth! Congrats on the great looking fish!

Larry

Larry
Old 05-05-2011, 06:16 PM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about

Hey Larry, ya I know, I feel very lucky! Now lets hope they just start being a little more aggressive and we'll be good!

-Jason
Old 05-06-2011, 01:04 PM

joshuanoerr is on a distinguished road

The clouser has always been my "go to" when I'm getting into the bass. Small ponds are a lot of fun, and I have a feeling you will be all over these now that you know they are there!

I know I'm addicted
Old 05-06-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanoerr View Post
The clouser has always been my "go to" when I'm getting into the bass. Small ponds are a lot of fun, and I have a feeling you will be all over these now that you know they are there!
That's an understatement!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanoerr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrider405 View Post
That's an understatement!
Just remember to practice catch and release and keep a tight lip so that the place doesn't get fished out. I had a place that close or closer to where I live that I fished several days nearly every week since I was a kid for over 30 years. It kicked out big red ears and bass consistently. Then some dumb ^*&#@ local TV news reporter told the world about it on the local news starting the following day the banks were lined shoulder to shoulder with people who looked like they were the same nationality everyday for 2 months and the place has been nearly fished out ever since and I seldom catch anything there.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 05-23-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:10 PM

rrarods is on a distinguished road

I have two ponds like that near my house. People fish them but there are some regulations thank god! One is catch and release only which is awesome. The other two have some regs on them. One is my favorite bass and carp on a fly lake... small, dirty, warm, and full of fish! Been having a ball there lately. Its only 3 miles from my house to!
Old 06-03-2011, 02:33 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

Awsome!! Those are some nice fish! In regard to what others have said, keep a lid on it. I've had the same experiance.... Pond, local, good fishing. People start fishing it, keeping the bass, and its poor within 3 years. The fish are starting to come back, but only because people stopped fishing it. And just this year a 3lb spawner was...err...removed. Not nice to see, especially in a pond that small. Has the fishing heated up there?
Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 PM

rrarods is on a distinguished road

Here is my latest catch!Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Custom Rods You Can Afford to Fish
www.rollingriveranglers.com