The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 11:00 PM

EastTexas will become famous soon enoughEastTexas will become famous soon enough
Default Wading a soft bottom lake?

How would I go about wading a soft bottom lake?

In East Texas it's rivers or lakes not very many streams around here and no trout either...
Old 04-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wading a soft bottom lake?

Good question, I'd like to know the answer. I usually take the drift boat out when fishing lakes, but yesterday after work I went out to Delaney Buttes and fished for a couple of hours planning on wading. Most of the three lakes are still ice covered except for a small band on the west side. When trying to wade it felt more like trying to wade in quick sand, I quickly retreated to the bank giving up on trying to wade.

Larry
Old 04-30-2010, 08:17 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Sounds like the ideal place for a float tube or a pontoon...

Dan
Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen snowshoe type things for just this purpose, but that was a while ago and I don't remember what they were called.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:47 AM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

I was going to mention snowshoes too but I doubt they'd have that in Texas.

Up here we have a chance of snow this weekend. Better get the toque out.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:25 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

If you are looking to walk the edges of soft bottoms, or wade in the shallow portion of the lake, Cabelas sells a product called "mudders" that strap onto any shoe - they expand when you step down and contract when you pick up your foot so you can break free of the suction of the mud. Originally designed for getting in/out of duck blinds.

Cabela's -- Mudders™
Old 04-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
If you are looking to walk the edges of soft bottoms, or wade in the shallow portion of the lake, Cabelas sells a product called "mudders" that strap onto any shoe - they expand when you step down and contract when you pick up your foot so you can break free of the suction of the mud. Originally designed for getting in/out of duck blinds.

Cabela's -- Mudders™
Thanks, I just knew you guys would have a solution to this. This forum is a great source of information!

Dan: I hear you on that, but where I was fishing the other evening, I didn't want to bother with my float tube, besides the water temp is really cold, most of the lakes is still frozen over except for a small 50 ft section next to the west shore.

Larry
Old 05-01-2010, 10:16 PM

EastTexas will become famous soon enoughEastTexas will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post

Cabela's -- Mudders™
Thanks for the tips.
I fish from a kayak a lot; looking at doing something different?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:10 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road

1 Milk Crate +1 Pair of Tin Snips + 2 small ratchet straps

Sorry boys...is my redneck showing?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreal View Post
1 Milk Crate +1 Pair of Tin Snips + 2 small ratchet straps

Sorry boys...is my redneck showing?
Good idea!

I was thinking of some old tennis rackets and cutting the handles off???

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

These ideas could become real dangerous on second thought if I have to swim for it with any of these contraptions???