The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 11:40 AM

stasher1 will become famous soon enoughstasher1 will become famous soon enough
Default 7'6" 3wt or 8' 4wt for panfish?

I have a local pond that's just teeming with small bream (about hand-sized and smaller) and have been hitting it lately with an 8' 5wt but they're really not large enough to put much of a bend in the rod. I'm thinking about setting up an inexpensive outfit just for this little pond and would like some opinions on size/weight. It'll primarily be used to toss small poppers (#10) with an occasional dry fly or dropper if they're unwilling to hit the popper.

I'm thinking about picking up one of the Emerald Matrix rods from Gremlin Fishing, but I don't know whether to get the 7'6" 3wt or the 8' 4wt. I'm thinking the 4wt would be more versatile, but the 3wt sounds like it would be more fun.

I'm also not sure if there will be enough difference between the 4wt and the 5wts I already own to justify the expense.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old 04-30-2010, 12:00 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: 7'6" 3wt or 8' 4wt for panfish?

I have a 7'6" Cabelas 3 forks 3wt. rod for the exact purpose that you are describing. As you said, the 3 wt. is a bucket of fun. If I could change one thing about my 3 wt rod, I'd add 6 inches to it. I *think* it might cast a little better with a little more length. 30 foot is about the max I can send mine. (haven't ever needed more....)

The 4 would likely load up better and afford a little more distance--- enough to by pass the 3 wt.? I doubt it. I'm casting a vote for the 3 wt.

I consider both to be light tackle-- played properly-- I doubt there is much you could catch on a 4 wt. that you couldn't get in on a 3 wt.....

As for differences between a 4 and 5 wt. I can't answer that, I can tell you there is a world of difference between my 3 and 5 wts. I also have a 6 wt. and there is a noticeable difference between the 5 and 6 wt.... I'd suppose there would be a difference in feel between a 4 and 5 wt.

Also, a 3 wt. will force you to cast properly-- the load up is much more subtle than with a 5 wt. and will make you pay attention to your rhythm.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the response.

I was also looking at the 7'6" 3wt Three Forks rod, but figured I'd try something a little different than the standard catalog offerings. The price is about the same either way and the green would look better with the little silver Medalist-clone that I'm planning on using.

Do you find the 3wt to be difficult to cast on windy or breezy days? Are you using WF of DT line?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:07 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Go with the 3wt. I use a 7'6" 2wt for panfish.

I'd go with a DT, if possible. It doesn't really matter.

As for casting with a breeze, yeah, it could be troublesome. Tighten the loops. If it's too stiff of a breeze, hang it up.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:45 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Axle hit it on the head....

wind can be troublesome with a 3 wt. I actually have no problems head on in the wind, it is the stiff cross breezes that cause me to hang it up. (of course, with any weight stiff cross winds are killers for me)

About the 3 forks-- rod, reel, backing, line, leader (promptly replaced with one of my own...) all for $50.00 (or there abouts-- don't remember the exact price...) Couldn't pass it up. Actually a really nice rig for an 'entry level' set.

///edit/// Just looked at gremlin's site-- have it listed as med/ fast action-- I don't know your casting ability, but that sounds a bit like trouble to me-- I've never really seen a light (or UL) rod with more than a mid flex (or med action)-- of course, I've never really compared or researched extensively the flex ratings on Ultra or light rods.... It just seems that slower rods tend to make better lighter rods (in my mind)..... someone else might be able to confirm or debunk this....
Any way you can cast one before purchase?
Old 04-30-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post

///edit/// Just looked at gremlin's site-- have it listed as med/ fast action-- I don't know your casting ability, but that sounds a bit like trouble to me-- I've never really seen a light (or UL) rod with more than a mid flex (or med action)-- of course, I've never really compared or researched extensively the flex ratings on Ultra or light rods.... It just seems that slower rods tend to make better lighter rods (in my mind)..... someone else might be able to confirm or debunk this....
Any way you can cast one before purchase?
I had noticed that as well. The 8' 4wt is listed as moderate while the 7'6" 3wt is mod-fast. I figured I'd just over-line it with a 4wt and slow it down a bit. Bad idea?

I've only been fly fishing for a couple months, so my casting skills are weak at best. I have five different setups, and I've found that I prefer a moderate action, or a mod-fast that's more mod than fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post

About the 3 forks-- rod, reel, backing, line, leader (promptly replaced with one of my own...) all for $50.00 (or there abouts-- don't remember the exact price...) Couldn't pass it up. Actually a really nice rig for an 'entry level' set.

They have a combo with the Three Forks rod, Pflueger Medalist, line, leader, backing, etc. for $75. That's pretty tempting. I prefer a left hand retrieve and that's not available on the 1492 1/2 (which is what they pair with the 7'6" 3wt Three Forks), but I already have a reel I was planning on using. I could use the line and backing on my own reel and give the little Medalist to my father-in-law who needs a small reel. Hmm...

Last edited by stasher1; 04-30-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:29 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.....I really enjoy fishing for panfish in streams (they fight harder than
lake panfish). I use an 8'6" 4wt, and Green Weenies, #10 and #12 foam beetles, and other little attractor patterns. Using smaller flies will help cast a
lighter line, and the fish don't mind a smaller morsel. John Gierach wrote that
he fishes for bluegill with an 8' 2wt, but I've been looking for an 8' 3wt.

Here's a nice crappie caught on a 7' 4wt cane rod:
Click the image to open in full size.

Here's a typical crappie from a nearby lake: 8'6" 4wt graphite:

Here's one of the little fellas from the local stream :
Old 05-01-2010, 10:14 AM

loydtruss is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys
I have been fishing a 3 Wt 7 1/2 ft. all spring for gills on our local lake and found that it is too light to land big gills in grass or brushy areas. If I had my choice i would purchase a 4 Wt. in 8 1/2 ft. because I have the best of both worlds here, in that I am getting the play and I am getting the distance, not to mention it works well in the wind. I have a 5 wt.8 1/2 ft. but it is a little too much rod for the gills I catch. The 3 wt is excellent on streams such as in the Smokies and your local streams, but as stated the 4 wt. is the best of both worlds for me. I did a post on fishing both the 3 wt. and the 5 wt. recently on one of my trips.If you would like to check it out the blog link is--- Fishing Through Life: Fishing Trips
Old 05-01-2010, 04:01 PM

The ponds I've been fishing lately are relatively grass free and almost completely brush free, so I don't really think that will be much of an issue for me.

I checked American Tackle's website (the supplier of the Gremlin blanks) and they list the 7'6" 3wt as mod, not mod-fast. I think I may pull the trigger on one some time later this weekend.

Last edited by stasher1; 05-01-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:00 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

I too love Panfish on a fly rod. I had bought one of Cabelas 8'-6" 3wt Travel rod specifically for that purpose, but have only been able to use it once & am looking to sell the whole outfit. The rod performs as I had expected, but I need to slim down my equipment unfortunately & this one is the one to go.

I've fished Panfish my whole life, but have not found the right lake/river in my area where some good sized "rod bending" Bluegills are located in MI. Imagine if Bluegills got as big as steelhead, what a fight that would be to behold!

I'd really recommend a 3wt rod. The fight will be better (more rod bending fights) & I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Tie One On----------------------<*))))))))))><