The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 10:55 AM

flyin4bass is on a distinguished road
Default Pike on the fly

Getting ready to go after pike with the fly rod this year. Never caught pike before. I will mainly be fishing in smaller rivers. Any suggestions on leader set ups and connecting the fly to the leader. I bought some " Toothy Critter ", but not that happy with the way it ties knots. Thanks !
Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pike on the fly

Paging: Diver Dan.... Diver Dan to the white courtesy phone, please.........

Hopefully Dan will be by shortly to answer all of your pike questions--- he has shored a number of mighty ones.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:23 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin4bass View Post
Getting ready to go after pike with the fly rod this year. Never caught pike before. I will mainly be fishing in smaller rivers. Any suggestions on leader set ups and connecting the fly to the leader. I bought some " Toothy Critter ", but not that happy with the way it ties knots. Thanks !
I know I've seen some wire type leaders at Bass Pro or Cabelas. They have to make them. Try some internet surfing until Diver Dan answers the White Courtesy Phone....

Boser
Old 05-03-2010, 10:34 PM

doc will become famous soon enough

Check out this video Phil and I put together out on Lake Wabamun, He's got some great tips on tackle and techniques.

AlbertaStillwaters.Com - Videos

Cheers,
Doc
Old 05-04-2010, 02:39 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi flyin4bass, and welcome to the forum. I have made a bunch of rods for guys who want to go after Pike, and then promptly forgot everything I showed them. So I made a video to go along with the rods. I'll PM you my phone number. Give me a call and I'll send you a copy. Has everything you need. Leaders, and how to tie the flies.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Budgie Burgess is on a distinguished road

Diver Dan, any chance I can get on that mailing list?
Old 05-30-2010, 12:34 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Disclaimer: I have not fished for Northern Pike.

When I fished for Spanish Mackerels in the Philippines, I had a class leader/bite tippet setup. Connected to my integrated shooting head was a three foot long butt section with a loop on the end. Looped to my butt section was a three foot class tippet of 12 pound test mono. Albright knotted to that was a two foot section of 15 pound test Tyger Leader wire as the bite tippet.

The beauty of Tyger Leader wire is that it holds knots. During my outings, I never had any knot failures. My tippet to fly connection was a Kreh's Loop Knot.

Like I said. I have not fished for Northern Pike. Maybe a leader system like this might work for you.

MP
Old 05-31-2010, 01:22 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss308 View Post
Diver Dan, any chance I can get on that mailing list?
Most certainly can. By the way, let me thank you for your service on this Memorial Day. Pm me a spot to send it. Dan
Old 05-31-2010, 02:05 PM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about

Learned the hard way with Chain Pickerel; lucky to get then to shore before they sliced the leader.

I have used Haywire from Orvis. Umpqua also makes them. List for $15 for six.

I use the 4 inch / 38 lb. Almost as easy to use as a snap swivel in spinning. I also have found that they do not affect my cast (as bad as it is). Great for quick change of fly. If the eyes are not as good as they once were and you have fumble fingers, especially with wet hands, they are handy.

They are subject to bending, but can be straightened.

Considering I don't know what will take my fly on a given day, Pickerel, Pike, Bass or Pan-fish, I leave the haywire on nearly all the time.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Budgie Burgess is on a distinguished road

Diver Dan, if you can email to randy.miller@bresnan.net.

Thanks...