The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 01:47 PM

bass_man is on a distinguished road
Default New Guy on Block

Hello to every one ,new to fly fishing but not to fishing. I just bought a 9' 9wt 2 piece Redington clearwater outfit. So far I'm doing pretty good casting in the yard can get the fly into a bucket 2 out of 5 times at 10 -12 yards the other three times I am with in inches of it. Is that good for a new B ? I know that practices matters that is why I have not ran right out to go fishing with it . The reason I bought a 9' 9wt is because the lakes I fish are very,very weedy and the fish dig in, I did not want to be under powered I am using a 1X leader at 7 1/2 ft. .Will be using poppers and bass bugs sizes 2.4,and 6 most of the time . So if any one can comment on my set up or have any words of wisdom it will be greatly appreciated. ALL comments are welcome Good or Bad.Thanks
Bass-man ( aka Mike )
Old 05-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Guy on Block

on the forum Mike...9wt...that's a men's rod!Good idea to train in the yard....spent hours casting in my garden...caught some big....branches....long agoHope to see pics of your first bass soon.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Mike welcome to the forum, sounds like you are off to a good start. Your 9 weight should let you throw bass bugs and poppers pretty well and you should have a lot of fun with LMB. Although a 9 wt might be considered a tad heavy for largemouth (an 8 might be more typical) you should know that your outfit would be perfect for chasing stripers and bluefish too so think about throwing in SW too if you find yourself near the coast.

The 1x leader sounds perfect for what you're doing, and keeping it short at 7 1/2 feet rather than 9 feet sounds good with the flies you'll be throwing like poppers and other wind resistant stuff, or weighted flies like clousers and large bead head or conehead streamers.

Practicing with a target is a great idea, sounds like you'll need to hit holes in weed beds etc in the places you fish. Working on your cast can be fun, but start getting some fishing time in too.

With a little more practice you'll be casting further, but it sounds like there are a lot of largemouth bass within range

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Mike, Welcome to the Forum...Go get those Bass and don't forget your camera...

Dan
Old 05-12-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Mike welcome to the forum, sounds like you are off to a good start. Your 9 weight should let you throw bass bugs and poppers pretty well and you should have a lot of fun with LMB. Although a 9 wt might be considered a tad heavy for largemouth (an 8 might be more typical) you should know that your outfit would be perfect for chasing stripers and bluefish too so think about throwing in SW too if you find yourself near the coast.

The 1x leader sounds perfect for what you're doing, and keeping it short at 7 1/2 feet rather than 9 feet sounds good with the flies you'll be throwing like poppers and other wind resistant stuff, or weighted flies like clousers and large bead head or conehead streamers.

Practicing with a target is a great idea, sounds like you'll need to hit holes in weed beds etc in the places you fish. Working on your cast can be fun, but start getting some fishing time in too.

With a little more practice you'll be casting further, but it sounds like there are a lot of largemouth bass within range

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
The reason for the 9wt. was the lakes are very weed and I was reading that a 8 wt. may be to light to fight a fish that gets in to the slop. I was told that a 8wt. is like a ML spinning rod and a 9 wt. is about equal to a Med casting rod is that about right or not? I'm a very technical person and I like to know all the in's and out's of why I am using some thing and not just because it works,if you know what I mean. Will be going fishing next week I hope. I have a lot of questions to ask you guys as I have no one to teach me I.m kind of teaching my self just like I did when I learned to us a bow & arrow ,cast a baitcaster reel and gun hunt it all takes time and practice.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:34 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I know a guy that uses an 11 weight for largemouth.... all depends on where you fish, but I find that an 8 weight is good for me.
You'll find that your 9wt is just about perfect for stripers and blues when (not if ) you get into that too
Old 05-12-2010, 01:08 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the boards!

If your anything like me you'll need at least 6 other rod and reel combos before you figure out your original assessment of the 9wt was spot on.

Than you'll have to find other spots to fish with the other rods

And so it begins...
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 05-12-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreal View Post
Welcome to the boards!

If your anything like me you'll need at least 6 other rod and reel combos before you figure out your original assessment of the 9wt was spot on.

Than you'll have to find other spots to fish with the other rods

And so it begins...
I have 9 casting rods and two spinning rigs (all mid to high end) had to promise the wife that the bait monkey would not stay on my back to long buying fly gear that is why I did so much research on a set up for LM bass,I do not see my self fishing for any thing else at this point. I just love top water strikes and frogging in the slop on a heavy casting rod. Hell I just love fishing
P.S For now any way