The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2006, 07:01 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Another bluegill fly question - sources?

25 buddies of mine and I have rented a private reservoir in the White Mountains. It is going to be a blast! Last time I was there I caught almost 200 Apache Trout in 3 days, 95% of them on dries.

Oh yes, it should be fun.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:10 PM

mobarclay is on a distinguished road

Sorry I haven't been able to post any pics of the magic fly - I haven't been able to check back here since I wrote last (sometime last week) - sold my van and finding a more economical replacement. Hopefully I will get back in the action after the holiday.
Have a great holiday everyone and hope ya'll can go catch some fish!
Chris
Old 09-09-2006, 04:10 PM

havoc is on a distinguished road

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but there is a fairly inexpensive and simple to tie bluegill pattern in the current fly tyer on page 20
Old 03-28-2009, 04:17 PM

MEDIC 1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
Shoot, send me $50 and I will tie you 125 flies that will take 'gills on any given day. Thats less that 0.50 cents each. Basically, it will pay for my materials.
do you make any clouser minnows size 10,12,14
Old 03-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Medic-

Welcome to the board. This is a pretty old thread (from 2006 I think), so you may not get a reply here from fshfanatic but you could send him a PM.

Just as a heads up though, clousers are usually tied with bucktail on size 6 and larger hooks.

They could be tied smaller I suppose with squirrel tail, or in a marabou version like this one (in size 10) :
Clouser Marabou Minnow

If you don't get any hits here, you might want to start a new thread if you have a particular pattern in mind and want to see if you can get someone to tie up a few for you. Or if you're looking for suggestions on patterns to use for gills, I'm sure folks can help you out.

mark
Old 03-29-2009, 08:48 PM

MEDIC 1 is on a distinguished road

are you still offering this . also do you tie any clouser minnows in size 10, 12 and 14
Old 04-24-2009, 05:01 PM

TCF is on a distinguished road

Cap spiders are the hot ticket in a size 10 until they start hitting top water. Then go to foam spiders, miss prissys, etc.

YouTube - Tying Michael Verduin's Cap Spider
Old 04-27-2009, 11:12 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Do you have a source for cap spiders? I did my first pan fish witrh the fly rod last night and had a ball. Now I need to stock up on a few go to flies. Used a brown wolly worm last nice with scuccess but I am sure I could have done bteer with the rigth fly.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:41 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

Here is a source for cap spiders. I have purchased bluegill flies from him and the quality was excellent. He only ties a handful of different patterns for sale. All of them are for targeting bluegills/panfish.

www.bugnflies.blogspot.com
Old 04-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCF View Post
Cap spiders are the hot ticket in a size 10 until they start hitting top water. Then go to foam spiders, miss prissys, etc.

YouTube - Tying Michael Verduin's Cap Spider
Thanks for posting that. I knew Mike when I worked at BassPro in Grapevine and wow, what a great guy. Nice as all get out, and continued to share his knowledge and love of the sport during a LONG battle with cancer. The YouTube comments say he passed in 2003/possibly 2004. Given his appearance when I last saw him in 2000, I'm fairly shocked he lasted that long. I even kind of think of Mike as the TX equivalent of Gary Lafontaine.

Using a pedestal vise on a cookie sheet to catch everything is a simple and genius idea too. Glue some rubber feet to the bottom and it won't slide around or mess up a table-top either.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.