The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2005, 10:25 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Fishing for Carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmo Nella
I was hoping that if we kept telling these huge carp stories, you would get so excited that you would let go a few tidbit pointers about actually catching them on a fly....
The only thing I can really tell you is that you have to be sneaky. The common carp will actually chase a bug, the grassies you damn near have to land the bug in thier mouths..

I have caught the commons (my favorite) on just aabout everything I have thrown at them..

The Grass Carp are tougher. I like hunting them with #12 Royal Stimmi's, on top
Old 03-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmo Nella
I was hoping that if we kept telling these huge carp stories, you would get so excited that you would let go a few tidbit pointers about actually catching them on a fly....
I would love to help you but have never actually hooked one. Never really went specifically targeting them but would like to do so on Flaming Gorge this year.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:06 AM

royalcutt will become famous soon enoughroyalcutt will become famous soon enough

I haven't ever targeted them myself, but have stumbled across a few here and there. I have been surprised at how picky they can be, pretty frustrating when your not used to giving this so called trash fish much credit.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcutt
I haven't ever targeted them myself, but have stumbled across a few here and there. I have been surprised at how picky they can be, pretty frustrating when your not used to giving this so called trash fish much credit.
I think they are:
1: One of the smartest fish out there.
2: One of the pickiest fish out there
3: One of the spookyest fish out there.
4: Pound for pound one of the hardest fighting fish.

When I started targeting them it took me 2-3 trips before I hooked my first fish. That was all it took. They are fun.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough

Thanks
I can see I am going to have some fun of a different fishing kind this summer.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:32 PM

WDRookie will become famous soon enoughWDRookie will become famous soon enough

Those carp are not nearly as hard to catch with a bow and arrow. Oops, I forgot this is supposed to be a fly fishing forum.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDRookie
Those carp are not nearly as hard to catch with a bow and arrow. Oops, I forgot this is supposed to be a fly fishing forum.
Why would you want to shoot them with an arrow? They are a fantastic game fish that are more hardy then just about any other fresh water fish. Here in the U.S. we tend to think of them as trash fish but that is not the case. In Japan and other Asian countries, the carp lives in crystal clear, clean, cold water. Here in the U.S. we have pushed them out as trash and they are relegated to more of the dirtier waters. The only reason they are there is because they are hardy enough to handle it. It is kind of like the Rocky Mountain Whitefish. People around here complain about them and make comments like, "I just chuck em' on the banks" but that is ridiculous. They are a hard fighting fish that can be taken on dries and have saved many a day that might have otherwise ended up in a skunk. No, don't shoot the carp with a bow and arrow. Try hooking them with a fly. You might just find out they are a cooler fish then you give them credit for.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:30 PM

Fun fighters and smart as well. Carp hunting with a bow is a blast! In many areas in Calif they tend to over populate the lakes and cause great damage to vegitation. This is a way of controlling the population.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:40 PM

WDRookie will become famous soon enoughWDRookie will become famous soon enough

I never said that carp would not be a great fish to catch on the Fly. I fact I think just the opposite. That is why I chimed in about the presentation that I attended in Athens a couple of weekends ago. I went with the inttentions of learning to catch them. That being said there is nothing wrong with bow fishing too. All of this attitude of catch and only release that is so popular now days is just as wrong as keep everything that comes out of the water. Total release leads to overpopulation and smaller less healthy fish. The key is balance. Take a few release the rest. Now with bow fishing you don't get to release and most people don't eat them but if you ever spend much time looking for and observing the carp you will see there is not a shortage of them and bow fishing helps maintain that balance. I will be fly fishing for them this summer but I bet the bow fishing won't hurt my chances either.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDRookie
I never said that carp would not be a great fish to catch on the Fly. I fact I think just the opposite. That is why I chimed in about the presentation that I attended in Athens a couple of weekends ago. I went with the inttentions of learning to catch them. That being said there is nothing wrong with bow fishing too. All of this attitude of catch and only release that is so popular now days is just as wrong as keep everything that comes out of the water. Total release leads to overpopulation and smaller less healthy fish. The key is balance. Take a few release the rest. Now with bow fishing you don't get to release and most people don't eat them but if you ever spend much time looking for and observing the carp you will see there is not a shortage of them and bow fishing helps maintain that balance. I will be fly fishing for them this summer but I bet the bow fishing won't hurt my chances either.
I have no problem with keeping fish for food. I just take issue with destroying something for sport that is not going to be eaten. I keep fish. I especially love a couple eight inch brook trout taken right back to camp and cooked on the fire. Or a smallmouth bass over the coals in a tin foil pack with lemon. MMMMMM! I just don't like to see things killed for no reason other then to kill them.