The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Fly Fishing for Carp

Hey... How many of you have ever fly fished for Carp? I've not done that yet but would like to give it a try some day. I've heard Carp touted as "the poor man's Redfish". I saw a videotape by Dave Whitfield on Carp fly fishing. It was very interesting. It appears that we have a new member who enjoys Carp fly fishing. Perhaps fshfanatic will join in and enlighten us.

So folks... chime in. Ya ever fly fish for Carp?

Steve

Old 02-27-2005, 07:52 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I do it all the time. They are incredibly tough. Very spooky and finiky. But when you get one they take you into the backing!
Old 02-28-2005, 09:42 AM

Cliff Hilbert will become famous soon enoughCliff Hilbert will become famous soon enough

Dave Speer will be giving a presentation on fly fishing for carp at the Fly Fish Texas show in Athens this coming Saturday. Dave even has a fly fishing guide service dedicated to carp.
http://www.trashonthefly.com

I also have a fly fishing guide service for carp, dead carp. My motto is "You can tell by the smell if the fishing's been swell."

LSU TIGERS!
Old 03-10-2005, 03:34 PM

WDRookie will become famous soon enoughWDRookie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Fishing for Carp

I attended Dave's seminar last Saturday at Athens. What I got from his description of his carp fishing is that you could do the same with a cane pole and a fly. I wasn't impressed with the presentation. I thought that he would describe something more similar to redfishing. I would really like to hook into a few carp or buffalo. They would put on a great fight, I just didn't like his description of his carp fishing.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Here in Utah at Flaming Gorge Reservior, a guide service who guides on the flats in the bahamas has set up a service here. He takes clients out on the flats of the Res. on a boat that he poles just like in the bahamas. They use eight weight rods for carp that get well into the 20# area. I have walked up on the edge of that lake and spooked carp who were up close that I would put at 30# easy.

Also, there is an amusement park here called Lagoon. It has a pond in the middle, probably only about two acres. I was on a ride that went up high right over the water one day when I looked down to see a carp in there that I would place at at least 45-50#'s. I almost died. I have seriously considered jumping the fence during the night and trying for that fish. I am sure there has to be a couple more in there. They eat all the stuff the kids throw in the water. I guess cotton candy and hotdogs grow some big carp.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough

I have seen carp in Big Bear Lake (near San Bernadino CA) that were easily 40 pounds. Those were the ones still alive. I have seen skeletons of ones that had to be bigger than that.
I accidentally snagged a huge one once while casting for bass. My 8 pound line was no match for it.
I have seen them jumping clear out of the water at another California lake. Usually in the afternoon when the wind is up a bit. I assume they are taking some sort of fly but have never identified it. Maybe a damsel?
I have always been under the assumption that they were vegetarians and were not very keen on insects but it seems it is time to reevaluate that.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

We have an urban pond out here that the carp will clear the water by six inches on. I have not seen real big ones do that but it is kind of funny to watch.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis
We have an urban pond out here that the carp will clear the water by six inches on. I have not seen real big ones do that but it is kind of funny to watch.
I have heard an eye-witness account where three jet-skis were going very fast and a carp jumped right in front of one. The carp hit the front deck of the ski and bounced into the driver's face knocking him off the ski. This happened 15 years ago and made such an impression on the eye-witness that he tells the story every year at this lake (6 years in a row that I have heard it).
Old 03-10-2005, 07:54 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Salmo, When I lived in California the exact same thing happened there ALL the time.. Up are Lake Berryessa in Napa, they have huge carp tournaments every year because there is so figging many of them. And they bad boys are huge, I have seen many many over 20 - 30 lbs.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:51 PM
Wink Re: Fly Fishing for Carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic
Salmo, When I lived in California the exact same thing happened there ALL the time.. Up are Lake Berryessa in Napa, they have huge carp tournaments every year because there is so figging many of them. And they bad boys are huge, I have seen many many over 20 - 30 lbs.
I was hoping that if we kept telling these huge carp stories, you would get so excited that you would let go a few tidbit pointers about actually catching them on a fly....