The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 11:23 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold
Default Monster Channel Cats on the fly!!!

Got out tonight to the famous Red River in Manitoba. It's like 20 minutes from my place and I'd heard the fish were thick in there. Tonight definitely proved they were right.

Click the image to open in full size.

Started slow with the odd drum caught. Then I moved to a different location and started slamming them. Fish or strike every cast or every second cast. Landed over 40 drum and 7 or 8 cats.

Biggest cat was a 38 3/4-inch pig. She was so heavy! Well over 30 lbs.

Caught a few smaller ones in the 32-35-inch range. My friend Steve caught a few nice ones too at 36" and 37".

Was a great night and am definitely heading back out tomorrow. They were hitting everything but my most productive fly was a purple marabou with an orange conehead that I tied up for steelhead.

Nick
Old 05-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monster Channel Cats on the fly!!!

Holy cow, nice cat. I live not to far from the Red River. I really want to make it over there to try cats at least once this summer.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:14 AM

cwg is on a distinguished road

GOODGOOGLYMOOGLY What a freaking cat!!!!
Old 05-22-2010, 07:51 AM

bass_man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg View Post
GOODGOOGLYMOOGLY What a freaking cat!!!!
Sweet how long did it take to land him and what size rod were you using?
Old 05-22-2010, 02:48 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

Was using a 9-weight and the cats still put up 10-15 minute fights.

Went back this morning and caught a bunch more. Biggest was a 37-inch cat with a few in the 35 - 36-inch range as well. Also landed some 24+inch drum and a beauty 32-inch carp.

Nick
Old 05-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Nickamazing fish on a fly rod.Have a look here to see the cats which can be caught in the river near home:pche loir 34 guide de pche herault mer rivieres lacs
Old 05-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Outstanding Nick. what a blast! Looks like you really have them dialed in.

What kind of line do you use with your 9 weight? Full sink?

And do the drum eat stuff lke buggers and marabou streamers?

They look like a real powerful fish, and I've heard of people catching them once in awhile on a fly more or less by accident, but I wasn't aware that they could be targeted with a fly rod.

Great stuff!
Old 05-22-2010, 11:21 PM

arkman is on a distinguished road

Nick- I'm a ways south of you on the red. I'm in fargo, I'm hoping to get out and throw some fly's at the cats. Any tips you have would be sweet!
Old 05-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Congrats Nickamazing fish on a fly rod.Have a look here to see the cats which can be caught in the river near home:pche loir 34 guide de pche herault mer rivieres lacs
Awsome Cats. Those are the Wels Catfish for those of you who have not seen them before. Silurus glanis. They get to nearly 10 ft. and well over 300 pounds. They get big enough to eat your baby and your Dingo.

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkman View Post
Nick- I'm a ways south of you on the red. I'm in fargo, I'm hoping to get out and throw some fly's at the cats. Any tips you have would be sweet!
I'm North and a tad East of you.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:45 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

That's too cool! I caught a 22" channel cat on a 4wt once, but that was while fishing for bluegill. It was a wild ride for a while, and I imagine that the huge fish you caught weren't happy at all. What type of fly were you using? I caught the 22" cat on a #12 Green Weenie, and read that channel catfish take pretty much the same flies as trout.

P.S. Did you paint the side of that SLV reel, or is that a reflection....??? That reel is a great bargain, and I have two (and used to have several more).