The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:33 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oof, some bruiser bluegills

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpondmanager View Post
That's a hybrid bluegill, i.e. a cross between a bluegill and a green sunfish. And it's a pretty amazing one at that.

Here's one I caught a little over a month ago that weighed 31 oz.:

Click the image to open in full size.
31ozs WOW! But am I reading it right 21 1/2 inches? Holy Moley!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

OK,
While we are on the topic of gills, and panfish in general: I've had zero luck at getting gills on a fly. Granted all I've tried is nymphs (BHP and PT mainly). I had not tried poppers because I have issues fishing with flies I didn't tie (It's a pride thing, eventually I'll grow out of it or i'll break down and learn to tie poppers LOL). Does anyone have any advice, other that trying poppers. Also, I've been itching to get into a school of shell cracker when they go on the nest here in KY this coming spring. Anyone got any experience with them?

Those really are some nice gills in the pics!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:31 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
OK,
While we are on the topic of gills, and panfish in general: I've had zero luck at getting gills on a fly. Granted all I've tried is nymphs (BHP and PT mainly). I had not tried poppers because I have issues fishing with flies I didn't tie (It's a pride thing, eventually I'll grow out of it or i'll break down and learn to tie poppers LOL). Does anyone have any advice, other that trying poppers.

If you haven't caught sunfish on PT's, I'd say you're just not fishing the right areas. Cast a PT or any other nymph for that matter into some weed beds and you should have a fish on within seconds generally. If not, move to another area. Try adding some flash to them too.

If you want to tie cheap "poppers" go buy yourself some craft foam, rubber legs, chenile and marabou. Tie up something like this and you'll catch plenty of gill's.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

This was the highlight of my daughter's summer fishing. No, not fly fishing, but the fish felt close to 2 lbs in hand.

jml43 and theboz like this.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:31 PM

Ted, how are you fishing the nymph? I've tried a slow strip, but that hasn't yielded any luck, and I know there were fish there since I caught some nice ones on bait that same day (yes I used bait, but I was fishing for food, so there LOL). Is a slow strip the wrong idea? Should I have used a faster strip, or not strip at all?
Old 12-05-2012, 01:53 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Usually if I'm fishing for panfish I'll just give it a little rise of the rod tip and let it sink again. Cast into the holes in the weeds, or just on the weed lines for the best results. Those gills will just sit right inside of those weeds usually looking for an easy meal. You can try small buggers or leech patterns too. For gils, size 8-12 would work just fine. There are some days where itchmesir and I went out and caught probably close to 100 gills on just little popper or beetle patterns like I showed, or bigger nymphs and buggers. Soft hackles are another killer pattern.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:48 PM

Ted,
that may be my problem, I was using a size 16 flashback PT. I'll be sure to try a size 12 and even may throw a size 12 microbugger I tie. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:46 PM

When it comes to gills, the one thing I believe is important over almost anything else is just to keep moving. Especially if you want to find the bigger ones. Sometimes it's not necessary, but if you aren't catching them, just move around a little bit. Same goes with crappies.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:36 PM

tnpondmanager is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
31ozs WOW! But am I reading it right 21 1/2 inches? Holy Moley!
I wish! 11.5" - that particular measuring stick doesn't have increments for the first 10" for whatever reason.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

jor i dont know where your fishing but as many good lakes as kentucky has im sure you have some stud bluegills nearby. the easiest way to catch them is to look for spawning sites in the spring.cruise the shallows especially in protected pockets and look for beds plate sized depressions they will be in groups and youll see the gills.you can catch them by casting a popper over the beds and letting it sit for 30 seconds or so then twitch it a time or two let it sit again, if they wont come up for the popper tie about two feet of mono to the hook bend the tie a 10 or 12 hares ear pt or zug bug to that and use the popper as an indicator.I have a 50 acre pond that i fish that is loaded with 8-11 inch gills and that is my absolut favorite place in the world to fish. there is nothing like catching 100 stud gills on poppers on a spring evening. the bounus is that the bass will eat a size 8 popper just as much as the gills will.a 3 pound bass on a four weight in a weedy loggy pond will give you quite a wrestling match.