The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oof, some bruiser bluegills

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpondmanager View Post
I wish! 11.5" - that particular measuring stick doesn't have increments for the first 10" for whatever reason.
What are you feeding those fish ! I catch an 11 1/2 in gill it barely weighs 13ozs! That thing must be fat!

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
This was the highlight of my daughter's summer fishing. No, not fly fishing, but the fish felt close to 2 lbs in hand.

Click the image to open in full size.
Beautiful Pumpkinseed! Get a 2lber you got the All Tackle World Record! They fight great at any size!!
piscatorial_phd and pete a like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-06-2012, 07:16 PM

tnpondmanager is on a distinguished road

The pond that bluegill came from is intensively managed and has been since mid-2009. There's an automatic feeder, and the fish are fed twice daily during the warm months with the best fish food made, Silver Cup, which I buy in bulk from Utah.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Another Ohio giller I caught this past spring in Licking Co.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I have a lake where I can catch 9-11" Bluegill till my wrist gives out. I have caught upwards of 250 in a day, all released. I timed myself with a stopwatch timer set at one hour once and caught 55 and that included 3 breakoffs where I had to tie on new flies.
There are some caveats, however. First, you have to hit the right time in the spring which seems to be just before the beds start to appear. Large numbers of big, black males seem to concentrate in some very small areas and when you find these areas it can be amazing! The fishing doesn't start until late in the morning and lasts till late afternoon. Sometimes sinking nymphs on an indicator with only slight movement works, sometimes a damsel fly nymph which almost floats works best. Marabou seems to work wonders on nymphs. Sometimes poppers work best.
I remember one day when I was getting absolutely nothing on nymphs or poppers. Then I tried jerking the poppers back as fast as I could and presto! I suddenly had 2 or 3 wakes coming out from the reeds from all directions! The 'gills were actually competing to see who could get it first!
This all happens within about a 10 day period and I find it best to choose a day with no wind.
When they start bedding you have to drop the fly in the bed because they won't chase it. Very effective but a lot slower than hitting the male aggregations prior to actual spawning.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:52 AM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

My biggest gill came on a size 1 streamer that I tied to look like a bluegill for bass fishing. As big as the hook was I wouldn't have guessed that a bg could even get it in their mouth. They really can be pigs sometimes.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:27 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Holy cow.......love me some bluegills on a fly rod.....they taste good too.....fried up with hush puppies and coleslaw!!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 12-07-2012, 03:08 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
My biggest gill came on a size 1 streamer that I tied to look like a bluegill for bass fishing. As big as the hook was I wouldn't have guessed that a bg could even get it in their mouth. They really can be pigs sometimes.
Sounds like a pattern I used in the Shenandoah River in VA. It was introduced to me by Harry Murray as the James Wood Bucktail. I tie mine with a little marabou tail and crystal flash, but that is more for me to find it underwater.

Untitled Document