The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default 8' of bluegills can trash a fly

I tied a #12 Skip Morris "predator" fly with a white tail, yellow foam, red thread, olive dubbing, and yellow legs and went to the local lake this evening. Found some nice 'gills for that lake and caught well over a dozen with most being right around 8". I figured I easily caught over 8' of bluegills (laid end to end)

The fly was pretty well destroyed by the time I quit. No legs left, dubbing badly frayed and thinned out, and the body had to be straightened after each catch it was getting so loose on the hook.

Not complaining! I'll gladly spend some time tying more in hopes I can get into action like this again a few more times this summer.
(Used the 6wt as I tried a popper for bass, too. No bass, but a few of the 'gills put a good bend in the 6wt rod!)

Typical catch and a fairly new fly on the cork -
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:17 AM

possumpoint is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 8' of bluegills can trash a fly

Sounds like a fun way to spend a day. All on one fly. Sounds like you need to tie a few more and try another fishing hole to see if you get the same response.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:08 AM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

On the bright side, look at how many you caught on one fly. Mine typically last through only about 10-15 fish, mainly due to operator error in removing the fly from those that almost swallow it.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 05-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

That is a fun way to spend the day...if I didn't have a bunch of chores that have stacked up I'd be on my clubs bluegill outing today. I used to catch big Red Ears in a local pond before it got fished out.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:40 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

I really need to find a good local pond that nobody fishes. That sounds like a fun day after getting my butt handed to me by a bunch of selective trout.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Sounds like a fine time indeed.

I had my FIL fish a similar fly Friday and that foam did indeed look pretty haggard at the end of the day.

One simple thing you can do on that fly to add durability is before you pull the foam down onto the dubbed abdomen, put a stripe of superglue down on top of the dubbing, and hold the foam on it for a minute. That should lock the foam onto the dubbing, and if you use enough for the glue to penetrate, it should adhere it to the thread base and hook shank too.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:04 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I took some griffins gnats to a pond and they destroyed them all. i might have to add a thin copper wire ribbing to keep it from getting broke. just don't know if it will make them sink?

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.