The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 07:44 PM

bfv is on a distinguished road
Default Line for Ross Flystik

Picked up a 8wt Flystick and am on the fence on what line would the best for top water bass bug throwing. I am thinking a coldwater Rio clouser 8 or the sage bass 290 gr line.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:05 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Line for Ross Flystik

Hi bfv,
The Flystik was designed as a "pick up and shoot" rod. Because of that, I would err towards the Sage Bass 290 grain line. The shorter head will turnover bass bugs better than the longer head of the Clouser line.

MP
Old 06-05-2010, 09:43 AM

halo7b is on a distinguished road

I'm using Rio Outbound Short on mine and it is just shy of a cannon with deer hairs and big nasty streamers, don't bother over lining as Outbound is already well over 8wt and the short head is a fast pick up and throw type line. It's my go to set up for smallies on the Huron.
Jim
Old 06-29-2010, 08:23 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

Rio makes a line specifically for this type of rod called a bass line I think but it has a picture of a largemouth on the box, has a short head but a stout front section If i remember for turning bigger flys/poppers.

my local shop has this rod which I was lookign at and that RIO bass line is what they told me,, theres other lines that are just as good but check that one out too.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:10 AM

bfv is on a distinguished road

For all interested I went with the Sage 290gr line and am very happy with it and the rod, works great for tossing deer hair poppers and the like. Nice not worrying about a 500$ rod when fishing in rough places out of a boat with a seven year old boy.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I fish a Sharkskin Magnum on my Redington Predator and that is a mighty fine pairing.

Pick up and shoot is great, but pick up and shoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooot is even better.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.