The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 06:45 PM

cwg is on a distinguished road
Default BrokeBack Bass...not the movie

Odd bugger today. drifting parallel to the shoreline at Spencer lake, doing well on most species and this dude nailed it! My biggest yet on the new 3wt.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:03 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BrokeBack Bass...not the movie

Boy I hesitated and thought hard about even opening this one brother

That is an odd one! Wonder how that happened.

Sure didn't interfere with him puttin on the feed bag tho...he's plenty FAT!
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 06-05-2010, 07:08 PM

cwg is on a distinguished road

It was a great battle. He really gave a grand accounting of himself, and deserved his release.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:41 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

This happens alot of times due to bad genetics... technically. In the aquarium trade it is a "fairly" common thing if you know what to look for and are looking for fish. A lot of rare aquarium fish can be found that look like that and are labeled as "short bodied" mainly because it can shorten a body length by up to a third. Generally this happens mid spine so it doesn't look like that alwasy but there is alwasy the possibility that the spine will make that severe of a turn more towards the tail similar to the bass you caught...

Nice fish btw!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:34 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have seen this in trout and it is a form of piscatorial scoliosis. Genetics, toxic contaminates, heavy metal leeching a bi product of acid rain, the causes vary but I think that is what afflicts your bass.

Nice fish,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;