The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 02:38 PM

darkcahill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing Clousers

I had the opportunity to fish with Bob for a day and let me tell you when he strips the fly he strips the fly. Hard and fast. He also uses a loop knot which gives the fly more action.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:36 AM

FlyFishnForBass is on a distinguished road

Another thing to take into account is what are you trying to imitate. If it's a bottom type of baitfish or crawdad you want to get the fly on the bottom and move it along. If you're imitating some sort of minnow then it's Bob's Susquehanna strip so the fly is moving and darting. Vary the weight on the Clouser minnow's also. It will change the sink rate and also allow the fly to get down fast or to sink more slowly.

I tie one with bead chain eyes that's about 4 to 5 inches long that I fish along the grass beds on the Potomac River. I want the fly to sink slow (sort of like a Senko) to catch fish lying under the canopy of the grass.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:04 PM

Arkie24 has a spectacular aura aboutArkie24 has a spectacular aura about

I have found that most of the hits I get come during the pause. I also tie the dumbell eyes a little further back so that when I use sinking line the Clouser "darts" back and forth more than "jigs" up and down. But I also do the count down method till I find fish or find the bottom!

Good Luck......
Old 04-23-2009, 01:42 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcahill View Post
I had the opportunity to fish with Bob for a day and let me tell you when he strips the fly he strips the fly. Hard and fast. He also uses a loop knot which gives the fly more action.
I live near and fish the same spots that Bob Clouser does. I have his wonderful book "Flyfishing for Smallmouth Bass" and I've seen Bob many times in the Susquehanna.
Clousers are OK, but the big advantage was the lead eyes that made the fly swim hook up in the water....... almost snagproof!
You can tie a leadeye on any fly. A woolybugger is a wonderful thing.
Also, most hooks now have a "upturned" eye. So even with lead wrap and no lead eyes, the fly will swim hook up and not get snagged. The up turned hook makes the center of gravity below the line and the fly is snagproof.
Joni said it best...... marabou and rabbit fur is what makes a fish hit a streamer.
Clousers use bucktail. OK when lots of hungry bass are around, but not as good as a streamer that pulsates and hugs the bottom.
Bob has to strip fast so the bass can't see the fly that well. A chartreuse and white bucktail streamer is really a poor imitation. It doesn't really matter where you put the lead eyes, a hunk of rabbit fur will always catch more fish.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 04-23-2009, 05:07 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

clousers work good. I just cast across or a lil down stream and swing them into the target area. bass like um! I also use bunny leeches or wooly buggers also tho

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:29 AM

FlyFishnForBass is on a distinguished road

Bob has to strip fast so the bass can't see the fly that well. A chartreuse and white bucktail streamer is really a poor imitation.

I believe marabou and rabbit are great materials to use as fly tying materials and certainly catch fish. The Wooly Bugger is on my list of all time greatest flies.

I disagree with bucktail making a poor streamer. Ask Lefty, the Clouser Minnow has caught over 80 species of fish. Ask Bob Popovics about deer hair, it's his favorite material to tie flies with because of the movement it has in water. Bob Pop ties a fly named the Bucktail Deceiver that is all bucktail and it works so well because of how the deer hair comes alive as water passes over it.

The Clouser Minnow does not need to be stripped fast all the time. It can be fished very slowy. In moving water the tide and current runs through the buck tail making it come alive. The brillance of the simple fly is it's simplicity and ability to be fished in so many different ways. Pickup up a fly fishing catalog and look at how many flies are some sort of take off on a Clouser Minnow.

Ask Lefty what his favorite color is and he'll say "any color as long as it's chartreuse." Then too I can match almost any type of baitfish in the water with different colors of bucktail, length and fullness of the fly. It can also be tied bendback style and I can fish it in the hydrilla bed on the Potomac River.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:09 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I tie my Clousers white and chartreuse, or white and plain green. Both work
great. Mostly I strip, pause, repeat.

Funny Clouser story: My wife and I were fishing for smallmouth on the
Schuykill River a few years ago. I decided to take a break, and stood next
to her while she fished a good stretch. I get bored quickly, and decided to
roll cast my Clouser behind us just to give me something to do. I caught
about 4 smallmouth doing that....LOL!!!! No retrieve was used, just roll cast
and repeat. That drove my wife crazy BTW .

Soooo....I say vary it up a bit, and see what works at that moment.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fishing Clousers

I have let them hit bottom on many occasions. I don't always do it though. I generally retrieve them with the strip pause strip pause with the strip being a foot or two at a crack. Once in a while I do a steady retrieve by as I strip the line with my left hand I reach out with the rod with my right hand. as my left reaches as far back as it goes and the right hand at the same time puts the rod out as far in front as it goes, I pinch the line with my right hand and immediatly start bringing the rod back with my right hand. Dropping the line from my left hand at the same time and bringing it forward to meet the rod at the reel and start the whole thing over smoothly without pause. with practice you can get a retrieve as steady as reeling it in on the reel. You can skip pause them across the bottom like a crayfish. With a bit of practice you can even get a swingy "walk the dog" type action out of them. The nice thing about clousers is there is no real wrong way to fish them. They are much like crankbaits. They do what you want them to and are only limited to what you try. They are probably my favorite type of fly.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fishing Clousers

I have let them hit bottom on many occasions. I don't always do it though. I generally retrieve them with the strip pause strip pause with the strip being a foot or two at a crack. Once in a while I do a steady retrieve by as I strip the line with my left hand I reach out with the rod with my right hand. as my left reaches as far back as it goes and the right hand at the same time puts the rod out as far in front as it goes, I pinch the line with my right hand and immediatly start bringing the rod back with my right hand. Dropping the line from my left hand at the same time and bringing it forward to meet the rod at the reel and start the whole thing over smoothly without pause. with practice you can get a retrieve as steady as reeling it in on the reel. You can skip pause them across the bottom like a crayfish. With a bit of practice you can even get a swingy "walk the dog" type action out of them. The nice thing about clousers is there is no real wrong way to fish them. They are much like crankbaits. They do what you want them to and are only limited to what you try. They are probably my favorite type of fly.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Banned

I don't know what happened, but does anyone know how to get rid of one of the twins there?