The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 04:23 PM

vistin is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing Clousers

How do you fish a clouser minnow. I have one and seem too get it out ok but I dont know if I am using it correctly.
Thanks
Steve
Old 08-18-2006, 05:08 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fishing Clousers

Strip pause strip strip pause strip pause, etc.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:09 PM

vistin is on a distinguished road

fshfanatic
Thanks for the info. I have to let it sink all the way to the bottom? Or keep it off thje bottom.
CR
Old 08-18-2006, 07:37 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I use the countdown meathod.
First couple of casts start when the fly hits the water.
4-5 casts count to 5,
6-10 count to 10,
etc

Untill I start getting hits.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:08 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

Try adding a little variation to the retrieve. Make the fly dart once and drop, the three quick, short twitches, the two long strips, then two sharp twitches, ect.. If you've ever watched darters along the edge of the stream, or bluegills or other sunfish in the lake, you'll get what I mean. As for how deep to fish it experiment, find where the fish are feeding on a that day, and fish it there. It really helps if you can see the fish, or the flashes they produce when rolling to take nymphs and the like. Tight Lines,

Steelhead junkie.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:00 AM

HOPPER is on a distinguished road

Bob Clouser developed the Susquehanna Strip. Long, semi-hard strips for smallmouth in HIS area. In that big water, in summer, it sure gets the smallies attention. Tires the angler out fast too, maybe that's his ploy. The first trip with, my friend and I had to use the spinning rod the day after. I use varying techniques and retrieves according to the water I am fishing.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

All good advice above.

I don't always stick to it, but was once advised by a guru to always make a fly look like its sneaking away so slowly as to not be noticed, or high-tailing its way to safety full blast. Both work at times.

Another help is to learn the tuck cast when fishing the Clouser in moving water. This helps get the fly down a little quicker/deeper before drag/current comes into play.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:51 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I fish large Clousers alot and I've noticed that the pause is just as likely to produce a strike as the strip.
Clousers are very nose heavy and on the pause they nose down and dive due to the weighted eyes. The stop and dive that happens when you pause is prime time for a strike. If you happen to be above the fish the pause will allow the fly to dive right into the strike zone.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

All good tips. and just a 2nd recommendation on the count down method and tuck cast. Depth can be key, I've caught a bunch of fish after casting and retrieving unsuccessfully lot's of times, then pausing to untangle line or to BS with a buddy (letting the fly sink deep) and then picking up a fish as soon as i tighten to start a retrieve.

And if you're fishing moving water, vary your angle of casts and mends. Sometimes the angle of approach seems to make a difference, and you can get faster/slower retrieves and deeper/shallower depths by mending upstream or down.

mark
Old 04-20-2009, 12:46 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I've always tried to my a Clouser look like an injured minnow. Stripping eratically and pausing for a second in between strips works well for me.