The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 07:56 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default new fly, same lake

I tied a few more of the foam flies the bluegill like to destroy and went to the lake again today. I wasn't sure if they'd be active since I had to go mid-afternoon since storms were headed our way, but thought I'd give it a try with the Sage 3wt. A wind was hitting me in the face and made casting somewhere between tricky and impossible (a few casts ended up back on the bank when got it up too high and a wind gust caught it).

The flies I tied -
bottom view:
Click the image to open in full size.
top view:

And the results -

Several (didn't keep count, but I'd guess 20+) 'gills from 6" to 8", and they were hitting the fly like they intended to eat it themselves and not share with their friends.
Even more fun today because I could see them in the bright light (the water is still a bit muddy), and if they missed the fly they would usually make a second try. I love the "flash" before the hit on a dry fly! Nothing tentative about their "take" today, it was more like a feeding frenzy.

A few of them gave me some excitement as the weeds are getting thick and the 3wt makes it a bit harder to turn them when they dive for cover. I had to pick weeds & moss off the line & fly several times, but I didn't have any break off so I guess the 3wt is still enough rod to handle them.

I did see a BIG carp (guessing 10#+) in the shallows I was fishing, but it wasn't interested in a topwater bug, which was probably good for both my rod and my ego.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:26 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: new fly, same lake

Nice buddy! Catchin' gilberts always gets me going!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:39 AM

possumpoint is on a distinguished road
Default Re: new fly, same lake

Looks like fun to me. Nice fly and fish. Thanks for sharing.