The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Reel.. Bass, Northern Maybe even Musky Question (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/142762-reel-bass-northern-maybe-even-musky-question.html)

ghost_reaper 05-28-2011 12:47 PM

Reel.. Bass, Northern Maybe even Musky Question

All,

I am looking at the Okuma SLV series reels but I don't know if I should go with the 7/8 or the 8/9. Please give your opinion both on the reel and why you prefer 7/8 or 8/9 would be appreciated. I'm also looking for a good, yet cheap rod.

Thanks a ton.

raindogt 05-28-2011 02:20 PM

Re: Reel.. Bass, Northern Maybe even Musky Question

Don't have that reel, so can't comment-- looks to be a nice reel. Price is right.

As for the size, I'd say that they are close enough in capacity (Backing and line capacity) that the most heavily weighted influence on MY decision would be balance on the rod that you are putting it on.

If both balance nicely, I'd look at it like being able to cast 100 feet distances: You'll never regret having too much backing, even if you never actually see it.

Guest1 05-28-2011 05:49 PM

I'd always go with the big version when it comes to Pike/Musky reels.

ghost_reaper 05-29-2011 05:13 PM

Thank you both for your comments. =) Ordering soon.

FrankB2 05-30-2011 08:32 AM

I've been fishing with SLV's for several years. Great reel, and no problems. I had a problem dropping them a few years ago, however. I would take them off the rod, and then reel in the line at top speed. 9 times out of 10 I was standing on the leader, and the reel would be yanked out of my hand and fly onto asphalt. Nothing ever happened, and I forget why I'd have line off the reel when it wasn't on the rod. I was fishing the local stream a couple days ago, and one of the SLV's fell off the roof of my Grand Cherokee, and bounced of the pavement pretty hard. Once again, no problems!

I'm also of the opinion that larger is better, especially if the weight is close. The SLV's will hold the amount of backing stated, so pile it on. ;)

ghost_reaper 05-30-2011 10:12 AM

Franky B,

That's what I was looking to hear. I have to sell an item or two on craigslist hopefully today and I'm ordering my reel and rod. Then I just have to wait a little bit for the line.

Do you guys use weight forward for throwing say frogs and other poppers or what do you typically use? I'm pretty new to fly fishing, but I've been fishing since I was 6.

Thanks again.

And to all the Vets out there. :army:

kfisher99 06-04-2011 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost_reaper (Post 263718)
Franky B,

That's what I was looking to hear. I have to sell an item or two on craigslist hopefully today and I'm ordering my reel and rod. Then I just have to wait a little bit for the line.

Do you guys use weight forward for throwing say frogs and other poppers or what do you typically use? I'm pretty new to fly fishing, but I've been fishing since I was 6.

Thanks again.

And to all the Vets out there. :army:

Of course, double tapered line is pretty old school and is rarely used. Get a line with a short head so it's easy to cast large flies, like Rio outbound or Rio pike line. Scientific anglers probably makes something similar/cheaper.

ncflyboy 06-04-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost_reaper (Post 263718)
Franky B,

I've always used a weight foward line to toss poppers and the like. To toss the bigger stuff even further, I suggest shortening the leader; bass aren't leader shy. I've caught bass on leaders as short as 2 feet! :)

Cheers,

Robert

mrl0004 06-04-2011 04:08 PM

I have had the SLV 8/9 for two years now. No problems, as others have said and I love it! It is on my St. Croix triumph 9wt and I use it for carp and bass!

caseywise 06-04-2011 04:48 PM

i recently,on franks recommendation:thmbup:, bought my wife an slv and i must say, its a nice reel. nice smooth drag, and nice tolerances for a cast reel. as mentioned earlier, the finish on the reel is bomb-proof:D similar to the finish on a lamson konic. a great reel for a great price imho.
as far as the size, i would definitely go for the bigger one.

casey