The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 03:58 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Weekend Report

Fished all weekend at the Lake of the Ozarks and did have some luck. Unfortuanately very little on the fly rod. The water was incredibly murky, but that's not unusual, There was only probably a foot and a half of visibility, but thursday night I got a huge blow up on a bass fly that I missed the hook up for.

Friday morning I saw a decent carp, probably pushing ten pounds or so rooting around under the dock ramp and switched over to a brown and olive bugger and started dragging the bottom around it. Once felt snagged on a rock and when I gave a little tug to free it and keep goign I saw the carp split and knew I missed that oppurtunity.. oh well.

Saturday, again the only production on my fly rod came from some small perch in a creek at the end of the cove, fishign for catfish bait. The only hot thing was the catfish who were moved up in fairly shallow water and the white bass , but only if you were trolling.

I ended up trolling quite about and caught around ten or so whites/hybrids in a combined total of about an hour and a half of trolling. At one point I was just chugging along when I saw my second rod dip and not return like a normal strike but like I was snagged. I killed the engine, grabbed the rod, and went to set the hook. It wasn't a big snag but a big fish instead, Indicated by a huge head shake that started the fight by taking twenty feet of line like it was nothing. Granted this was with 8 lb. test. After five or so minutes I finally saw a flash of silver and knew it wasn't a big cat but a hybrid. Eventually I got it netted when I looked and it wasn't a hybrid but a BIG white.

The beast was 22 1/4 inches and 14 inches around, the biggest white I've ever seen and about a half a pound from the state record. Weighing in at 4 pounds 13 ounces according to the scale we used. I'm going to find a formula to have it measured more accurately. While I would like to have gotten it mounted, it made it's way to the dinner table. A large fish, but I was meat fishing, and this big one went to the cause called dinner.

well I'll post a pic. when I get them uploaded.

Thanks.

PIC TIME:
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by lancer09; 06-05-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:00 AM

possumpoint is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Weekend Report

Thanks for sharing both the story and the pictures. Nice fish, I'd been proud too. Make a nice memory and the fish will grow with time.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey Man, Where You Been?

Great write up and a beauty of a fish! Hope to see and hear more from you, I know this is the time of year when we are all busy but I miss some of you guys. You maybe should have had that fish weighed and measured by a certified station. We have a thread about "Wish I Would Have Known the Record" by Diver Dan. It is about missed record fish that ended up released or on the table.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-06-2011, 03:56 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I was on a week long cruise to the carribean, then some classes started up along with some slow pitch softball. So last week and the week before were busy. I believe teh scale is pretty accurate but i got the length and girth measurements, and i'm going to call the MDC and see if they can calculate the weight. I believe this misses the state record by 7 ounces which came out of another lake around here that I haunt.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If you ever get another that is this close you better make sure. I filleted what may have been the world record Pacific Silver Salmon caught on a fly rod back in 2008

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-06-2011, 10:21 PM

I'd definitely like to break a record of sorts, but I doubt it is a white bass. I honestly doubt I'll ever catch another white of this size, it could turn out to be the fish of the summer.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

great job and awesome catch!
Old 06-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

That fish does not look like a hybrid to me. If it isn't, it's bigger than every single flyfishing line class record in the IGFA book. If it was a hybrid, no problem, how was it?