The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 06:47 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Help! Mayfly fly for smallmouth

Anyone know where to buy a good mayfly pattern for smallmouth bass. The mayfly hatch isn't far away here in North AL and Wilson Lake is one of the premier in the country for smallmouth fishing. I have never fished it, but I hear that during the mayfly hatch, it is a flyfisherman's dream come true. However, you need the fly! I have attached a pic for reference. Most I have found are really small patterns for trout, and/or they don't have the extended body like the fly pictured below. Any help would be appreciated!
Click the image to open in full size.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: Help! Mayfly fly for smallmouth

Try Mad River Outfitters or possibly Big Y Fly
Old 06-05-2011, 08:33 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks! Big Y had some that I will order. I just hope #6 and #8 hooks are big enough!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 06-05-2011, 10:48 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Look for Hexegenia mayflies. They should be the right size and color.

Dennis
Old 06-07-2011, 02:58 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Look for Hexegenia mayflies. They should be the right size and color.

Dennis
Exactly what I was going to say. I think you will be fine with a #6 for Hex hatches. You will have a blast. I've even used white pencil poppers during Hex hatches.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:55 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Any of the big Wulff series will do, especilly a White Wulff or the Ausable Wulff

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:20 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

When the Brown Drakes pop here on the Joe, any surface flies work just fine, they are very opportunistic fish, the Drakes get them looking up and their aggressive nature does the rest!

However, I am a big fan of this fly in regards to a large Mayfly imitation.

Foam Hex | A high floating imitation of the hexagenia mayfly. | Dry Flies | Fly Fishing Gear - Accessories - Tools | The Fly Fishers Fly Shop
Old 06-13-2011, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Hexes for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
I've even used white pencil poppers during Hex hatches.
I bet yellow foam bodied hoppers in smaller sizes would work as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:10 PM

waders4 is on a distinguished road

Mayflys are hatching on Wilson. 7/1/11

I have fished the hatches for the last 30 years and have yet to have an issue with fish taking foam poppers.
Many times they will take a popping bug quickly even when there are hundreds of flies on the surface. Not sure why. We fish droppers when things slow down but many times end up catching more bream than smallies. Look for dark shadows cruising along sea walls or under trees where the bream, ducks, birds and squirrels are feasting. Many times the take of a smallmouth can be very suttle. Almost like a trout sipping flies from the surface. Other times a massive explosion. Have fun!
Old 07-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Waders4 welcome to the forum. Make yourself at home here. It sounds like you AL guys are having a blast down there with the smallies busting up the surface.