The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 10:37 PM

arkman is on a distinguished road
Default Climax Pike Leader...Directions

I bought a pike leader today. It looks like its 8' of 20# mono and 15" of wire. In the pack were little black plastic tubes with one around the wire end forming a loop.

Now from what I can tell this is how you tie on the fly. Slide the loop out of the way and then loop on the fly and slide the black thing back.

Is this correct? It seems like that wouldn't hold very good at all. If thats not how you do it....how do you?
Old 06-11-2011, 06:29 PM

Anyone?

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2011, 01:49 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Climax Pike Leader...Directions

You'll need to crimp those sleeves with pliers after looping on the fly.
Cut off the fly and you'll need to use a fresh sleeve
Old 06-12-2011, 02:00 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I know nothing about wire leaders, but if you have to crimp in a permanent loop, could you add a snap to the loop for connecting the fly?
Cabela's: No-Knot Fast Snaps

Last edited by wabi; 06-12-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: correct typo
Old 06-12-2011, 06:55 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I would either do a loop to loop with the mono formng a 3x cats paw or tie an Albright around the wire loop. Either way will prevent the wire from cutting through the mono.
Quote:
could you add a snap to the loop for connecting the fly
Yes. There is a guy in NJ who makes small clips for doing just that. I forget the name of his company now. Maybe those ones in the link would work, but they don't look very strong to me.

I misread the question. Somehow I thought it was the mono to wire connection you were talking about. I'd just do a haywire twist from wire to the fly. Also, the best wire leader made (Malin) is only a couple bucks for 100 feet or so. One fish and it's kinked. I have some wire straighteners but I think they are no longer made. They are good for mackerel blitzes when you don't want to take the time to put on a new one, and when they shy from a crinkeld up one.

Here's a link. $1.79 for a 42 foot coil of #3.

http://www.malolotackle.com/wire.html#single

Cheers.
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 06-12-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 AM

Thanks guys. I think that I'll just put a snap on there like mentioned above. Then I don't have to worry about it.

I like those ones from cabelas too.

Thanks again!