The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 10:50 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big bass are frustrating me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvafishing View Post
Thanks guys for the help. All real good pointers.

Im not sure if it was sponing, because it seemed to be chasing other fish under the water, and he was chasing me lures just no bites. It just looked like he was hunting. Then would come back to the grass and cruize off again.

I bought a couple new flys to try next time. A sweet blue gill fly and a dragon fly. Hopefully itll get some attention on the Potomach this weekend.
If it was chasing fish away but not eating them then it was probably protecting a bed. Not much you can do there
Old 06-17-2011, 12:12 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
If it was chasing fish away but not eating them then it was probably protecting a bed. Not much you can do there
x2.

this is when i bring out the 2wt for some sunnies.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:49 PM

rvafishing is on a distinguished road

I thought you can catch spawning bass. Alot of people make it a point to fish them while they are spawning.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:05 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

i don't always target spawning bass, but when i do, i prefer pike flies....and dos equis....
Old 06-17-2011, 08:48 PM

Im more of a Pabst Blue Ribbon type of guy haha.

What is the difference in the pike flies? Sorry Im still new to this. Trying to save up some money for a fly tying kit to really test my patience. Should be some cussing in my future
Old 06-17-2011, 08:54 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I thought you can catch spawning bass. Alot of people make it a point to fish them while they are spawning.
They will bite a lure if they think it's threatening the bed. Targeting spawning fish is a bad idea. Those fish it was chasing away were trying to eat the bass eggs. If you take a bass off it's bed you leave the eggs vulnerable. If you keep the fish away long enough the bed will be destroyed. That's a lot of fish destroyed for the glory of catching one bass. Wait till it's off the bed and pick a fair fight.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:21 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Thanks guys for the help. All real good pointers.

Im not sure if it was sponing, because it seemed to be chasing other fish under the water, and he was chasing me lures just no bites. It just looked like he was hunting. Then would come back to the grass and cruize off again.

I bought a couple new flys to try next time. A sweet blue gill fly and a dragon fly. Hopefully itll get some attention on the Potomach this weekend.
Sounds like it is on the beds.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:10 AM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Big bass are frustrating me

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
They will bite a lure if they think it's threatening the bed. Targeting spawning fish is a bad idea. Those fish it was chasing away were trying to eat the bass eggs. If you take a bass off it's bed you leave the eggs vulnerable. If you keep the fish away long enough the bed will be destroyed. That's a lot of fish destroyed for the glory of catching one bass. Wait till it's off the bed and pick a fair fight.

Turtles, not fish, actually eat more eggs. I've fished places where turtles have destroyed decent fisheries. A 3 lb bass is no match for a 6 lb slider or 30 lb snapping turtle.

The female bass is larger than the male, the one guarding the nest. The female leaves the nest as soon as she lays her eggs.

Even if you leave the spawning bass alone, survival rates are very low. Of 100 fingerlings, only 1 or 2 will make it to maturity. Many smaller bass are eaten by larger bass.

I wonder how many waders have actually stepped on fish eggs? I think the trout anglers calll them the "reds."
Old 06-18-2011, 12:24 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

dont know about trout, but salmon spawn in a "redd". not sre what its called for bass.

ARFE
Old 06-18-2011, 03:30 PM

Thanks guys, I really appretiate the info.

Rob